Sunday, 8 April 2012

A Hodge-Podge

That's a good name for this patchwork of  photos, as well as my sad collection of tubs and containers, minus flowers! 

After a chance meeting a couple of weeks ago, I was given the name of a friend-of-a-friend's lady gardener. I telephoned, using the wonderful  "You don't know me, but..." opening gambit, which always delights my sense of the ridiculous.

As a result, this lovely person came and inspected the shambolic space outside my patio doors and two days later re-appeared with a tub of tools and plenty of sacks for rubbish. The weather was on our side, and in glorious sunshine she began to set everything to rights.

She pruned and tidied, and I clipped the heap of offcuts into pieces, to stuff into the waiting sacks. Of course, while we worked, we talked, and I learned how she'd had a mother and grandmother who were both interested in gardening. Because of their toting the small girl along when they visited gardens, garden centres and all places of horticultural interest, she learned much, without realising. In fact, she spent many years avoiding anything to do with gardens - until eventually, she became the owner of a house with a large one! 

With both mother and grandmother no longer living, she now began to realise what a wonderful legacy of gardening lore she had acquired from both of them - learned, literally, 'at their knees' back in the days when she was hardly beyond the height of those knobbly appendages of theirs.

Thanks to this trio of ladies, one living, two dead, I can now look forward to having an outdoor area which will soon be a thing of beauty again. Watch this space...

21 comments:

  1. Well there's a lovely collection to work with, I'm sure your outdoor space will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how love and determination come together to bloom in your garden. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! "With the kiss of the Sun for pardon, and the song of the birds for mirth, one is nearer God's heart in a garden than anywhere else on Earth." Enjoy your space, Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will watch this space--with interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow! It looks like a "secret garden" I immediately thought of the book.... So mysterious, like it's waiting. It's already gorgeous, though wistful in aspect, like lost places often are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you there again, and I will definitely watch this space for progress with your garden. What a great helpmate you have found for this--Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. She sounds like a real asset. Would she pop over to Lanz do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You see sad collection and I see opportunity. hahaha

    We have a few empty pots waiting flowers and the little girl made the most of one today--she buried a plastic Easter egg in it under an inch of potting soil. Older son and I looked and looked for a missing egg until little girl laughed at us and showed us the extreme hiding place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to seeing the blossoming as summer progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure it will be beautiful. I will be watching for its transformation with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'A thing of beauty is a joy for ever, its loveliness increases' Jinksy, as my father was fond of quoting. Hope that patio gives you a lot of pleasure throughout the summer and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I'm sure you do as well, I love progress - especially in a garden. I know that yours will be beautiful again ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love to have an 'after' photo now we have seen the 'before' one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't suppose she would consider taking on a job in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire would she?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a truly tranquil space and very lovely to look at. What wonderful people to sort that out for you.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a beautiful setting for a wonderful potted garden, I can already see all the glorious splashes of colours these blooms will make. Seems you have a great summer ahead, to look forward to (smile). Loved the description you gave of green-fingered helper-lady, such a sweet legacy her foremothers have infused in her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always wonderful to work with someone who loves what they do ! Looking forward to seeing what comes up .

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your introduction, to a stranger. Works a lot of the time. I bet your garden will soon be a thing of beauty. Actually, that is some of what I have been doing--not blogging, but filling what we in US call hanging baskets which are usually annuals to be done over every year.I have 14. I try to recycle pots. This year the pots are not cooperative and I may have to repot some. I also have several containers similar to yours of concrete or plastic that I fill. This year I've put some perrenials in these pots mixed with annuals. My aim is to eventually not have to replant in them.

    In addition we have been renovating inside our home, plus some long neglected maintenance like washing windows/screens, indoors and outdoors.

    We hired additional perons to help us. I also had a young man transplant some bushes into beds, as they had outgrown their containers.

    Wecome to Spring.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...