Monday, 20 April 2015

Named & Shamed?

In my early morning Blogland wanderings, I happened upon a fellow Blogger - Bjorn. He was issuing a challenge over at The Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, and I couldn't resist a little ditty to capture his given idea. What's in a name? At least, as far as the meaning thereof relates to the person who bears it.

And as ever, my thoughts landed on the lighter side of life. So with no more ado, here is my take on the matter. It's no secret, my name at birth...nor is this hideous photo, taken some time after...

Penelope was a weaver,
according to the myth...
I could have been a weaver
if I'd studied, and then with
Dame Fortune standing by my side
I might have made a mint.
But I weave dreams, not threads of yarn
and thus I am quite skint!

My second name at birth was Jinks,
and Hi(gh) Jinks dogged my path.
I'd be the first one to admit -
I do like folks to laugh.
I don't mind being dubbed a nit,
if it is kindly done,
and hopefully this little rhyme
will disappoint no one.

With Anne, my humble middle name,
comes the meaning 'full of grace'.
Without that, I'd perhaps be sad.
But a smile comes to my face.
I cannot help but realise,
thanks to its neat addition,
that it leaves me with abiding hope -
it might save me from perdition!

Thanks to Bjorn and his IGWRT's post this fine Monday.


29 comments:

  1. Ha.. yes we are given a whole armada of names.. the weaver of dreams and full of grace really fit together... Maybe it can straighten out those jinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I can but live in hopes?! Thanks for inspiring me to do a fun post today - I've been away from Blogland far too long.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that was wonderful!! I liked that very much.

    My middle name, too, is "Anne". :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps that's what make us on the same wavelength where laughs are concerned?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike Anne Shirley mine is without the 'e' but I do love a good laugh. Thanks for a fun poem to brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And like Anne Shirley, I usual say the 'with an 'e' ' bit, same a she did! LOL

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hmm....wish I could say that sounds just like me?! :-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. And because of the way I spell Anne, you can see I'm a fun 'e' person, an' all... LOL

      Delete
  7. This was a wonderfully enchanting poem... :D
    Its good to finally know the meaning :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I've yet to find a meaning for the 'Jinks' part. Any ideas? :-)

      Delete
  8. what a witty ditty, caused me such a smile; have a creative month and thanks for dropping in to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of my words leaving a trail of smiles around the globe. :-)

      Delete
  9. Got a smile from this - 'I don't mind being dubbed a nit,
    if it is kindly done' Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jinksy--very charming and fun, thanks. k. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very witty :D In my humble opinion, I think your name is quite awesome. What was your nickname growing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't have one! I was Penny, or at grammar school, Jinks...though I remember a comic, which was called 'Girl'. It had a character called 'Jinx', so it was hard to tell which spelling people used when they called me by that name. LOL

      Delete
  12. Love the humor which is evident in the way you find it so readily to share it in words. Life is too short to not be up to some high Jinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your whole approach here, Jinksy! One thing we could not choose for ourselves is our name. Penelope is both ancient and regal (and beautifully musical).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 74, I think I can claim to be ancient, but not regal! LOL. I remember my daughter stamping her foot at me once, because I hadn't called her 'Alice'. Although I didn't choose my name, I think I've always felt as though I was a Penelope at heart. Jinksy is my disguise. :-)

      Delete
  14. Loved the meaning of your name :-)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...