Thursday, 24 December 2009

Not Quite Christmas Day In The Workhouse

Firstly, because at the moment it's only Christmas Eve, and secondly, Christmas Day In The Workhouse was the title of a poem written by George Sims, 1847-1922, that you may read at http://www.christmas-time.com/cp-work.html - providing you have stamina enough to wade through it's many verses.

I believe I encapsulated a more up to date view of the festive season, in this short offering I put before Blogland for the first time last December.

Noel, noel...

Festive wreaths all spiked with holly,
mistletoe and robins (jolly):
wassail cup all spiked with gin:
crackers with no bangers in:
smelly soap and stripy socks:
same old programmes on the box:
nuts and sweets and drinks free-flowing:
paper hats, balloons for blowing.
Tempers (short) and children (tired):
evening suits and dresses (hired):
office parties, too much drink:
Father Christmas on the brink
of chimney pots with central heating:
Christmas takes a lot of beating!

I leave my readers to ponder over the differing views of George Sims and jinksy, set as they are a whole lifetime apart. How times have changed; but for good or ill, I wonder...

25 comments:

  1. aah, the modern version... have a merry christmas jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jinksy - you rule!!! have a lovely christmastime. steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a Most Joyful Christmas Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer your version, perhaps because it defines us now. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jinksy,

    You and I must have been at the same 'do'! Humour spiked with a little truth; what could be better? Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've got the stamina to read this. I do read Chaucer, after all y'know :) Wishing you a very Happy Christmas to you and yours Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meanwhile, don't you work too hard and take too much of a beating. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm off to read!!! But your poem is delightful...as always!!!! Merry Christmas, dearest Jinksy!!! Love, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your version is not only funnier, but more readable than the original! LOL!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your poem.. classic Jinsky. :) A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jinksy. I was standing outside waiting for the dogs to do their business just as midnight mass was letting out when I saw the owl. Of course I saw Santa, but he didn't fit with my rhyme scheme. Hope you're having a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I might add...Brother-in-law I'd like to sock him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, oh, read my new year's resolutions, they go along with your great asusual poem

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours is a hands-down winner, my friend.
    Love your poems...always have.
    Smiles to you from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jinksy, I hope your Christmas was a marvellous as your poetry. Wishing you a happy lead-up to the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just picked this poem up Jinksy. Christmas neatly summarised!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yours is so much more realistic. Except for the telly bit, did you see yesterday's Hamlet on the box?
    Absolutely magnificent.

    Happy New Year, Jinksy, I'm glad to be back online, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh bravo, Jinksy, spot on! (Still smiling) I hope you and yours have a wonderful New year, and everything you desire for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas celebration!

    Loved the poem! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your work!! Happy Christmas to you and all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just home and catching up, another enjoyable poem and a chuckle along with the read...I do hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas my friend....so glad to have met you in 2009 and am looking forward to spending more time with you in 2010......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I much prefer your shorter concise words... I nearly fell asleep reading Mr Sims' version... something to do with my advancing years I would say!
    Have a wonderful New Year and may all your resolutions never change you. You are as wonderful as needs be.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's all good, Jinksy, it's all good.

    A Very (belated) Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...