Friday, 27 January 2012

Not Quite Treading The Boards

"Come with me?"
"I'm no actor! I can't do that."
"Let's go and see what it's all about,  please? You might enjoy it..."

The Festival Theatre had  plans for a peripatetic production which would need some 200 people, mostly extras, amongst whom a few would have to sing folk songs and do country dances.
For my singing buddy, the very word 'theatre' sent her blood racing, and I had to admit the mention of folk music had got me interested....

So one early summer evening found us in a large marquee with a crowd of oddly assorted people lured by that same word. We learned that several well known playwrights had each been asked to write one scene of a play, based on true historical events around Chichester.

The extras would be responsible for their own seventeenth century style costumes, and the directors needed about 50 or so people to learn a country dance, and a smaller group to sing a mix of hymns and folk songs. They showed us patterns for the type of clothes we'd need, and I was hooked!

Before I knew it, I'd 'volunteered' for both the singing and dancing, and couldn't wait to start on our costumes...We had to invent characters for ourselves, too, for we were told it would help us to be 'believable' to the audience. Thus let me introduce... 

"My Lady Anne, sister of the Bishop, and her maidservant, Prudence." 

No prizes for guessing who I played!
 
Sepia Saturday's prompt has stirred up more memories. To be continued... 

WARNING!  between 11 p.m. last night and 6.46 a.m. this morning, I have a total of eight 'Anonymous' comment emails showing in my in box for this post. If you are trying to leave me a comment, I suggest you use your own blogname, then I might read it! At the moment, every anonymous comment will go straight to my junk folder. If you are a spammer- go away!

25 comments:

  1. Lovely picture. It would be fun to "tread the boards," but unfortunately I have no talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Maybe it didn't get you a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but you have wonderful memories and a great story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talented lady you are, my friend!!
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did all those comments say, Prudence? "Please can we have our bonnets back when yer play is over?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more sense than to open them up, so I've no idea what they said!

      Delete
    2. N.B. I wasn't called Prudence for nothing!

      Delete
  5. You were Lady Anne of course - I will not believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Weaver - Prudence, maid of all work - that was me! LOL

      Delete
  6. Whomever you were, you dressed the part well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story! You look good in the photo on the left!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm the one on the right, Maggie...

      Delete
  8. You are a multi-talented volunteer, great costumes. The 17th century did like their hats must have been a good time to be a hatter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a Joyce Grenfell look about you in that photo. Do you do monologues?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not I - but the lady on the left does a mean 'Sam,Sam pick oop tha musket!'

    ReplyDelete
  11. "They showed us patterns for the type of clothes we'd need, and I was hooked!" Great story, and I loved this line--so far from my own total failure at sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More lovely memories and more beautiful costumes. They are both gorgeous. Do you still tread the boards Jinksy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more than at an open mike evening last summer!. Most of my ‘board treading’ was as part of a barbershop chorus, though not in a true acting sense, for once again I was involved with many of the costumes the chorus used to wear…

      Delete
  13. You're clearly the one on the right, for us viewers ;-) Looking pretty good I must say. Very jolly too. A veritable star!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I have to go with the stunning actress on the left! What a great time you must have had, and the priceless photo to remind you now! (Doesn't Blogger block your unwanted advertisers (spam) and stuff in your spam?) I know mine gets filled up with clearly people just trying to sell stuff)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great photo of you. I only wish the production had been recorded on Youtube so we could all see it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I-AM-DYING-WITH-LAUGHERS-HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no anonymous comment here, just ME!!
    :D~
    HUGZ

    This is priceless!!!
    :D~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great picture of you two! Loved this post. It looks like you guys had a blast, and how neat that everybody got to be so creative. Some Anon. are not bloggers though ... I try hard to see if they are legit or not.

    Take care,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe this is the beginning of a whole new career?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I probably would have volunteered in some capacity, singing. Dancing is not in my repetoire. I bet it is a barrel of fun. I never browse anonymouse. I am forever NitWit1

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...