Monday, 21 September 2009

Continuation...

...of yesterday's topic, which seems to have opened a can of worms...Firstly, I was not fishing for comments! Of course, not every follower can, or would want to, comment on every blog, every day - be realistic folks!

I also appreciate that there may well be people who read ours, but choose not to write a blog of their own. The suspiciousness only rears its ugly head when, upon investigation, some of these incognito beings appear to be linguistic giants, who have the time, and the ability, to read umpteen blogs in languages which span the globe. Who are they kidding?

To me, it all begins to smack of the same syndrome as those infuriating 'cold calling' telephone calls; once admit to a supplier of goods that you have a landline and BOOM! Call centre voices on crackly 'phone links begin battering your ears with initial inane greetings, followed by attempts to hard sell anything from insurance, to carpet cleaning, to writing your will! This is the lowest level of advertising, and I treat it with the disdain it deserves.

So to all my trusty, long-standing Blogpals, plus quite a few new ones who've introduced themselves to me recently, I love you all, and would no more dream of blocking you than I would that wondrous writing muse that inspires us all! (Those with photographic bent, please include yourselves in this fraternity; after all, photos are only another form of communication!)

As for your comment, Eddie - don't you know, I'm a founder member of Wizards Inc., and as such would be bound to associate myself with the one in Oz, somewhere along the line...

12 comments:

  1. I told myself I wouldn't comment today but can't help saying: oh god, call centres! I always pretend to be the cleaning lady when I get one of those sales calls, which annoys me really: I should be able to just say 'sorry, not interested.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello jinksy - it's good to stir the pot every so often just so nothing sticks and gets burnt! have a peaceful day. steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to your post Jinksy...I have 2 followers that fall into this category...making me wonder just why are they following me...it's just so obvious...I see them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, heh, heh...I've ways of dealing with call centres( or tele-marketers as we call 'em, across the pond here ). Most are automated and respond only if you pick up on the line, so I let the answering device screen it. If no answer, guaranteed it's a telemarketer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I popped back to yesterdays' (or is it yesterday's?) post to read all the comments. I 'follow' a lot of blogs too, but I don't visit them all as often as I do some of them. Time is always an issue ;-)
    And don't get me started on tele-marketeers. Is there anyone anywhere who doesn't mind picking up the telephone around dinnertime only to find someone who wants to sell you something on the other side? I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My standard answer for almost all telemarketers is "No thanks, I have a brother in that business." I'd say that about 98% of them just says "ok" and hang up. Almost anything else I say seems to be an invitation to further pitches. So I use my multi-talented, non-existent brother. I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bit the bullet yesterday and applied the word verification on commenting on my blog as I'm a bit peeved now with the spam rubbish that robots throw at me.

    We also get cold callers on the phone, usually just as we're sitting down to a meal. I simply say, "No," then put the phone down. They have no manners, so why should I!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Death to Spam! Down with telemarketing! Kill the evil robot followers!... did I miss anything? What's the world coming to anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is an organisation here called the Telephone Preference Service - to which I belong - not that it has made the slightest bit of difference to the cold calls I get Jinksy.
    Perhaps there should be a similar organisation in blogland - (but then it probably wouldn't work either). Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a DNC (do not call list) in Canada. Since I have registered both my landline and my cell phone I seldom get those calls from call centers/telemarkerters. They only started this program this year and honestly I used to get at least 2 of them a day and it's been months now that I have been free of it all.
    We should have something set up like this here in blogsville, just to rid this beautiful place of those who are not interested in what we are truly all about. Luv ya.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jinksy,

    Even though I have only a fraction of your number of followers, there are those who never comment and I never worry about them. What I like less are those who do comment at random but have no place of abode. Fortunately, most appear harmless. The preference service that Weaver mentions certainly should work. We subscribe to it and do not get cold calling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what have you been up to? Must see.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...