Sunday, 13 September 2009

Latest Ripple In My Pond

Thanks to the variation in time lines with Blogland posts, for some, the weekend has already come and virtually gone. I've read messages wishing readers a happy couple of days, long before my calendar marked Saturday. What would I have to post about, if I were to dwell on my activities for that specific span of time? Who could say...

Then, as they have a habit of doing, the gods intervened. Of a sudden, at the end of last week, one of my kitchen unit drawers took it into it's head to collapse. I don't mean it simply came off its runners. No, it disintegrated. Initially, as I pulled to open the drawer, the front panel came loose on the right edge. The drawer part way slid out then stuck, while the contents began an alarming slide towards the rear, and items began noisily falling into the equipment stacked cupboard below. I bet my face was a study, if I could only have seen it. Surprise and horror combined must have been written all over.

For the rest of that day, I ignored it's sorry state; tried to block it out of my mind by not even looking at it as I prepared meals for myself. Ostrich time; bury head and hope it turns out to be no more than a dream. Fat chance.

Next day, feeling better able to face the truth, I spent a happy time slowly winkling out the multifarious contents, bit by bit. There was just enough open drawer for one hand to search blindly for the next amazing object to be retrieved. Why amazing? Well, beyond the tin openers, bottle opener, knife sharpener etc that I knew lived at the front of said drawer, there began to emerge the strangest assortment of 'stuff' you could wish to meet: four old corks: a small pot of scarlet poster paint: a box of colourings for cake icing: a syringe and two icing bags: assorted plastic cutters for said icing: assorted cutters for pastry, biscuits or plasticine, should the occasion arise (!): two pairs of ratchet nut crackers: a Tweenies tin Easter Egg container: a metal Easter Egg mould: a dolly peg: three spring clip pegs.

I could go on, but by now you've got the picture, I'm sure. Eventually, with half my kitchen surfaces awash with the rescued debris, I extricated the remains of the drawer; two plastic sides and back still jointed at the corners, which waved around like a tripartite snake as I moved them about; a bent and bulging hardboard base and a chipboard front, still sporting half a dozen wooden doweling pegs that stuck out of its rear surface like blunt sharks teeth, completed the ensemble.

Other extraneous items among the contents are unmentionable - mostly because I have no idea how to describe them... Like the three, white, rubbery thingies that looked as though they may have been for protecting feet on some metal /wire contraption. But why only three? Don't most things inanimate stand on four feet? And why did I hoard them?

Perhaps the most prolific items were the bundled sheets of metal ties (the kind you get in boxes of food bags). I admit, I have been known to use such things for many, many creative uses in my time, but there were enough of them to supply an army of creative imbeciles for a lifetime, let alone just me...

Okay, what next? After studying original construction methods (dodgy) and wondering how on earth I could manage to stick everything back together on my own, I took the easy option and put out an SOS call to No.1 Son.

Yesterday afternoon he came pootling over with his trusty tool sack slung over one shoulder, and we spent a happy time scraping off old glue splodges from the surfaces that needed putting back together once cleaned up. As he tentatively reassembled the whole, he discovered why the drawer had collapsed in the first place. The hardboard base was marginally too small for the inner measurements, so the rear edge had popped out of its groove. It was a miracle, that it had lasted as long as it had.

Then he dropped a spanner in the works - he had to leave to pick up young L17 from work, as she'd not been paid since starting there two or three weeks ago, and he was going to be a knight in shining armour for her, by demanding justice. But the drawer was still in pieces . . .

Eventually, he left with it tucked under his arm, promising to get another base cut to the correct size, before delivering the whole thing back to me, as good as new, once finished. His armour is shining brightly on more than one count! My kitchen on the other hand, still looks like a jumble sale collection point. I'm having a great weekend, thanks...

30 comments:

  1. Hmm... thought I'd left a comment. Sorry if this appears twice:

    I sympathise with your drawer collapse. Some of my kitchen drawers contains stuff I never use. One day I shall get rid of some of this.

    Re your comment on my blog: no grandchildren, alas. The guinea pigs are... guinea pigs. I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jinksy, it did my heart good to read this post, now I know that 'it's not only me.'
    I have a drawer with corks and a multitude of unknowns, I believe the corks were used on knitting pins when the ends fell off mine... grins. But that was XxXxX years ago which shows how long it is since I cleared out drawers! You were wise to send for your son, I just used parcel tape.... I know, I know... but I was planning a new kitchen. Wonder what happened to THAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinsky you are certainly not alone in this. I've had to repair half the drawers in my flat, as it is( the super's not one to invest monies in upgrading things, let me tell you! )And it would seem the more we get rid of, the more that gets added to the lot, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh jinksy - what a drawerful of trouble and discontent!! my heart goes out to you as a person who has no real understanding of how things go together and how to return them to their as originally supplied by the manufacturer state. but i have mastered the "look-the-other-way" feature of this whole process!! it is entertaining to go into the drawer that holds all sorts of stuff isn't it?! the contents (and especially their relative abundance) reveals habits and quirks of the owner that were otherwise tucked away! have a lovely evening. steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jinksy,

    We had a kitchen drawer that often came off the rails, which necessitated closing and opening it several times to get back on track. Funny that the idea of swapping the contents for ones less used never occurred! Hope you get shipshape soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just HOW big is this drawer?

    What I find most admirable is that you held your nerve and made a riveting story out of an everyday item of household collapse.

    I'd have panicked, being extremely short on handy sons of whatever grade or number to call on. For me it's the man with the call-out charge and the short intake of breath every time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have room looking like that except nothing collapsed as nothing is in its appropriate place.

    I tell my husband it is a room in transit. It once was a computer room/office. Since I now compute on my lap, that name is obsolete. Office is less necessary as most routine monthly bills are automated to be disbursed by bank known as EFT (electronic fund transfer).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dearie me...what a time you are having!!! So sorry to hear it...nothing more aggravating than kitchen difficulties! Hope your knight returns soon!! Love to you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you blog, it's good that bad things happen. Fodder. Grist. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your knight in shining armour to the rescue...just made me think of the circle of life...what goes around, comes around...for I'm sure as a young mother you rescued him many times with his broken toy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well you must admit, that was one way to get the drawer cleaned out and get rid of some items that are useless. I have a drawer like that, not even sure what's way in the back. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the kind of experiences that life as fun as it is :-)

    PS Thank you for the nice comments

    ReplyDelete
  13. jinksy...I thought "I" was the only one with a drawer like this! I feel better now....not because yours collapsed, of course, but because of the descriptive and delightful way you described going through the contents.
    Hugs and many smiles to you...
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. How you made me laugh Jinksy! There but for the grace of God etc....... I have given it some serious thought and I think you should have agarage sale - there may well be someone out there who has one of those white feet thingies and is looking for another three. They say that one person's rubbish is another person's treasure - you could make a fortune and then when your new drawer arrives it will be empty to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your choices of words for this one - like winkling, pootling, and splodges. This was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi jinsky, boy have we have similar days...this morning when I opened my cutlery drawer I pulled it too hard and it came completly off it's runners spilling everything on my toes (ouch) and the floor. What a mess and what a way to start my day. Anyway as my coffee was perking I piled everything into the dishwasher, washed the drawer, repaired it and all is well now......I have to admit I used a few chosen words during the process and was glad none of my windows were open.....Hope all is going well with you my friend, my day got better as it went on thank heaven.. ....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poodling? I love your words! And what a picture you painted of your jumble!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you gave me a giggle. isn't it amazing the strange things we keep, important no doubt at the time, yet now??? can't even think what object they eminated from.... my house is full of things like that...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jinksy,

    Do you believe as I do, the more storage space we have, the less we tend to throw away? It's almost as though we are compelled to fill every nook to capacity.

    Nicely written, entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can think of a certain kitchen drawer that I wouldn't want to collapse. It contains things in a similar range as your weird collection. Why? Well, you never know when you might need it.

    Hope your knight will soon return.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Broken "drawers" is a reminder of torn shorts or underwear worn out. Drawers have a different meaning to some. So the post becomes most interesting. Or curious. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What would we do without our SOS sons...?

    ReplyDelete
  23. We all have that sort of drawer in our kitchens, I'd think, and by coincidence, I opted to clean mine out yesterday too. It didn't fall apart. I just chose to do so. I must be sick!

    Only you could make the contents of a junk drawer sound interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Although I've not (yet) had a drawer collapse on me, when I do get around to cleaning out a drawer, especially a kitchen one, I'm always amazed at the number and types of things I find. Why do we save, for example, the three rubber thingies you found, and the hoard of twist-ties? Surely there's a poem in there somewhere, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jinksy, Just discovering you tonight, I am delighted. Your writing abilities are magnificent.
    You have no email address?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am in love with stories of this sort. And you tell them so well! Thanks for sharing your wonderful *HAH* weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to satisfy the curious, the drawer returned via 'really old friend' courier. It now boasts a shiny new hardboard base, a few more bulges of set araldite and two brackets that. . . wait for it. . . . I had in my drawer! This baby will not fall apart again! (plus my drawer is two brackets lighter now to boot. Genious! )

    Even better news, I'm posting this from my phone. The very same phone that decided to go swimming in the toilet! Which simply proves even shiny knights have bad days!

    Now, which drawer did I put that armour polish in? .........

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, Jinksy, I am putting off the very much needed renovation of my kitchen purely because I am too much of a cowardly lion to tackle the drawers - And then there are those that we never open, for they then become vertical drop drawers! Scary stuff, indeed - Blogging is a far safer pastime, non?!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...