Thursday, 16 July 2009

Signposts And Curiosity

"Curiouser and curiouser!" So said Alice in Wonderland, one upon a storytime. For those among us who have more than our share of The Elephant Child's ' satiable curtiosity', a signpost can be our down fall, once our trunks have sniffed a whiff of something interesting...

Blogland leaves these tempting pointers in unexpected places, and we can find ourselves wandering in fields of fantasy before we have time to control the dash of the mouse upon which we ride. I was leisurely investigating blogs old and new after I posted my pennyworth (!) on Tuesday this week, when an Aerial Armadillo had me following one such signpost to the Clarity Of Night.

Before I knew it, I was inveigled into grabbing a used envelope, the back of which was imploring my pencil to waggle out a few words on the subject of In Vino Veritas. This was to comply with rules of a competition set up by Jason Evans. The closing date was only a day away, so my pencil needed to move quickly; eventually producing enough drawn out black lead lines to create the following:-

Enigma

Her glass is filled with wine.
He asks "Will you be mine?"
She, bashful, pale and shy,
lifts glass, and drains it dry.

She hears his words, so false,
spin round her, like a valse.
The Devil's Advocate
has left his help too late.

"You will not be in charge
once truth is set at large!
Beware what comes to pass -
In Vino Veritas!"

The enterprising Mr Evans has put an alphabetical list of numbered entries on his blog, with the chance for Blogpersons to vote for their favourite five submissions. With a total of 158 to peruse, this will be no mean task...Whoever manages to read all of them, will deserve a special prize for their tenacity of purpose, no less.

20 comments:

  1. well done, by the skin of your teeth.... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever Jinksy - very good little poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when someone uses a word I'd never heard before, and uses it cleverly, to boot. Valse. Looked it up and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem, jinksy...The best of luck in the contest.
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, in the nick of time, too. I love the feel of your poem, the lightness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poem surely came out of personal experience!
    Good luck, Jinksy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko - I assure you, the whole thing was pure imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ONE, two, three; ONE, two, three. Shall we valse?

    I confess: I had to look it up, too.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your poem,good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Well done.
    I think we shall valse till the morn to celebrate such artistry and composition! And warning...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jinksy...I have been to Clarity of Night's site...and have read and read and read. Maybe I haven't read enough....but I haven't found one yet that compares with yours...seriously. I think yours is a winner, my friend. After I posted you on my blog about who could vote, I found out that only those who entered were able to vote(is that correct?) I will read more of the entries tomorrow, but from what I've read so far, I haven't seen any that holds a candle to your writing. I'll be back...
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Suldog; love learning new words Ms P :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your lovely poem.
    I am going to valse around the house now as I clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Her glass is filled with wine.
    He asks "Will you be mine?"
    She, bashful, pale and shy,
    lifts glass, and drains it dry.


    Jinksy, I LOVE this!!!!! Bravo madame.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful poem Jinksy!
    Loved the use of all the "bohemian words"! very refreshing to see and I hope you win the competition!!!!!
    Big Hug! XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went and left a comment for your poem but I couldn't figure out how to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this poem... as I love your pencil :) Talking of the pencil, I would love to read a poem you write to your pencil :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi jinksy...Any word on the contest yet? I'm anxious to know!!! :))
    Smiles from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic entry to the contest. I had thought about entering and then I didn't get any further than that. Oops. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a woman you are Jinksy. Super poem, best of luck, you deserve to win with it.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...