Sunday, 17 April 2011

Do You Have A Foot Shaped Mouth?

I heard this expression used yesterday, and it has set me to wondering. How many of us can honestly say they have never noticed this apparently inbuilt human deformity in themselves?

Of course, first we have to understand the old, English cliché "Putting your foot in it", which is used to indicate an unintentional blunder. From this, it is a small step to understanding fully the significance of "Opening one's mouth only to put one's foot in it."

Hence we arrive at the delightfully succinct description "He/She has a foot shaped mouth"... There must be some interesting equivalent phrases in other languages, which I'd love to hear, if any reader can supply them!

So with my mind cogitating on the pitfalls of "What you thought you heard I said, is not necessarily what I meant", I have written 160 characters to offer to Monkey Man for his Sunday challenge.


The sunshine of our love hides behind clouds of mis-communication. Once the raindrop tears have washed the skies, then perhaps there will be chance of rainbows.

12 comments:

  1. rainbows bring hope, and hope-fully beyond the miscommunication it can be found...nice jinksy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Lately, I am learning that I absolutely cannot read minds and cannot possibly know what someone thinks or feels unless that someone tells me. And vice versa. Kind of liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard that expression before, but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great line. Thanks for playing along with the Sunday 160.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father had a foot-shaped mouth , bless him .
    Beaming wirh approval at a particularly blossoming , buxom young lady from the village , he was heard , by my alarmed mother , to say , "Don't you look well ! I can't understand young girls determination to look fashionably thin these days . If only they could see how much nicer you look ."
    A heart of gold but no tact at all .

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful indeed Jinksy Dear!
    Thank you for explaining the phrase here..

    Sunday Hugs xxx
    https://oliviasmindlymatters.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/cheers/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear inksy,
    That's new to me. And I don't know a German equivalent (in English I think of dear Hyacinth Bucket's - errg, sorry: Bouquét - calling Elizabeth "all thumbs") We might say, somebody is a "Trampel", meaning someone who behaves like an elephant in a porcellain shop - tactless and clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - so absorbed - trying to get foot into mouth - then it happened: swallowed the "J" of your pen name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That 'foot-shaped mouth' saying must be typical English slang Pen. I have never heard of it. Can't think of any of ours at the moment. I guess we take our slang so much for granted we don't even know we are using it - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~As one who lives with a foot-shaped mouth, I know only too well the pitfalls, and scarce pleasures of doing so...

    La Jinks, I see you now have 2 blogs, and that you are very, very busy. I wonder how you find time to breathe, never mind being so wonderfully creative as you are - So beautiful here and at the poetry blog - Such a talent, you have - Sending you love x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is in the nature of speech that expressions are contracted but I rather like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard the foot-shaped mouth version. We say, "put your foot in your mouth" or, "Open mouth, insert foot...."
    ;^0

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...