Friday, 15 April 2011

Green Fingers

After telling you the tale of Perry Caunter and the carrot weeding lesson, I thought I'd show you this delightful snapshot of the boy who would one day be his pupil!

My husband obviously started practising early to be a gardener. Of course, by the time I knew him, the wheelbarrow had become a somewhat grander affair, and the headgear conspicuous by its absence, but the love of gardening remained!

I have no pictures of him as a child with any of his Devon born relations, but I do have a rather faded snapshot of his Grandfather, holding the hand of his brother Bertie, the one who died in childhood.

It's plain to see how the rural setting would have influenced the lives of any children who had the good fortune to grow up amongst its wide open spaces. It's also a great illustration of the special link that can often be found between the very young and the very old...

Now I'm going to link this up to Sepia Saturday, where you can see other examples of old, or not so old, photographs that might interest you.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Jinksy,
    the seeds to become a devoted gardener are put early inot the earth (though I remember that I hated it when young to help in the garden - but I also remember admiring the flowers and nature). The link between grandparents and grandchildren is often a strong one - maybe because they resemble each other often more than to their parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did I go wrong? Only one of my children is interested in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful photos! Your husband-to-be looks as though he's ferrying toys in his wheelbarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I presume you were referring to Devon and not the geological era? I mean, they are old photos ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like gardens more than I like gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jinksy,

    Both pictures are darling, and it was nice to click on them to see a larger look. What sweet brothers!

    Happy SS,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, there's that darling Bertie again. Sigh. Your husband was every bit as adorable though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are great. I enjoy seeing pictures of kids - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. The faded snapshot of Grandad and Bertie is a beauty, especially when blown up full screen : there is such a feeling of other-worldliness, other-timeliness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those of us who were lucky enough to be brought up in the countryside Jinksy - have such an appreciation of all things 'country' - I don't think 'townies' understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two treasured photos as we await spring in its glory. I have often wondered if there is a gardening gene; I have it from both paternal and maternal ancestors if so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you found me newly returned to bloggyland. we will now be good friends and both in the uk too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely photos and interesting family history too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite enchanting photos, these. Both boys were adorable. Your husband's pose reminds me of children sometimes seen on old postcards. The photo of Bertie and his grandfather looks magical, as though they stepped out of fairy land into real life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. to work the earth is to know the divine, in my opinion. this said by a guy living in concrete...
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pictures of Bertie and your mister-to-be. I love digging planting and pruning - just not weeding and all the cleaning up after.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enchanting - and I have tosay that his grandfather looks exactly like MY grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Grandad and child photo. In color it might be an impressionist watercolor by a master artist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable photos and it does look like a wonderful place to grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...