Friday, 29 October 2010

I've Been Playing!

With witchery afoot, I had fun creating this flying fiend to suit the words I'd written this morning, when I got waylaid from my intention to post another of Dad's drawings because my bloglist was showing the symbol for the G-Man's Friday 55. Of course - it's Friday. So, although a Sepia Saturday is imminent, I'm wrapping up a bundle of bits and pieces, past and present, with some Jinksy waffle to mix them all together in the melting pot which is Napple Notes...

I've always thought this pseudo sailor was a bit of a conundrum. Did my father sit down to sketch one day, then find he couldn't decide on a subject, so settled for a question mark? Perhaps...
But also on one of the green pages, mottled with age, was one I did at the tender age of seven. No masterpiece this, but I can remember how honoured I felt, being allowed to draw in Dad's very special book. What is strange, I don't remember ever being given paper and pencils of my own to play with. Even at school, until I was eleven, I have no recollection of being encouraged artistically by the provision of equipment which might have let me experiment.
I suppose I've come a long way since then, for yesterday I managed to produce this (perforce!) lightening sketch in yet another unsatisfying Life Drawing class.


The model was made to take ten different poses in the course of the two hours. As the afternoon session included a fairly lengthy coffee break as well, it's not hard to realise why I grumble!

16 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. I would LOVE to take a life drawing class, however unsatisfying. You're sketch is terrific, although I'm more partial to the snowman one myself, as it tugs at my seldom-acknowledged maternal heart-strings. Nothing is more precious than a child's artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father was a always drawing, his letters were littered with sketches; with the advent of e-mails all that got lost but I still have the cartoons of two very large people (Mr. and Mrs. Bubble) who had a very small car which they squeezed into before going off on high adventures!

    Love your witch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your father's sailor is great!
    sticking out his manly chest, standing to attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, isn't it, what we remember and what remains a blank? Lovely, then, to have this record of your father's drawings, and there in the midst, one you were favored with adding to the book. As for the drawing from present time, I am amazed at what you capture in the partial view of the model's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sketches Jinsky, you are a natural as was your father. Happy Halloween, do they call this Halloween in England?.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are a natural artist and love that sketch of the child!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressed with the art and love the blog new look ~ Eddie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect way to combine all of your memes and posts! :) LOVE the sailor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sketches! I see that your father passed down the gift to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the Proud Sailor is a very clever sketch. Lateral thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny, here you are mixing your dad's word and your's. I love the shared images here, especially the peculiarity of the smoking snowman. Can you imagine! Oh, well, I guess you did.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. jinksy - i can't imagine having to wait that long to get to draw at school. the walls of my classroom are brightened by my kid's art. it's their room after all!! kids who can't afford the supplies are given it to take home by me. you just never know where that sort of thing can lead do you?! steven

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neither of my parents drew - I remember only one little stick figure my mother made for me. I mostly drew attention. Lovely pictures! Love your little snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pictures, Jinksy! Especially first one. We don't have a Hallowee'en here in Girafe World, but it does look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was your dad a sailor? Or perhaps thinking of becoming one?

    I love the little drawing you did of the snowman (please tell me it's a snowman).

    I think your life drawing shows great potential.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...