Thursday, 7 October 2010

Time For A Chat?

It's all very well, rushing out bits of so called poetry or prose at the drop of a hat, to comply with somebody's prompt, and it may keep one's writing urge on tiptoe, waiting to see who will think up what next, but plain old Blogland gets a raw deal.


Despite today being National Poetry Day, according to BBC news, I intend doing no more than a Napple Waffle about my own illustration...Monday, as you will notice in the picture,  my room was open to the elements for a goodly part of the day, as two workmen demolished old, cheap-and-nasty patio door/window and replaced it with an A rated, energy saving, up-dated version.

At the crack of dawn, I'd teetered up a step ladder and taken down heavy curtains (in the foreground you can see their Rufflette tape waiting to be un-pleated), then waited...and waited...until the men eventually arrived at 10am. They'd come from Bournemouth - from where, I assume, they'd had to collect the units they were to install. Late starting they may have been, but they worked steadily and methodically straight through to 4pm, when they took my money and had me sign on the dotted line before going to their next assignment.

Having learned from previous attempts that my washing machine had difficulty coping with even one of the big curtains, I decided a trip to the local cleaners would be the best idea. Hmm. When I'd unpicked the hems and trundled my trusty trolley full of curtains and liners into Havant, I was told the price would be £45 for the curtains, and £45 for the liners, as they were separate, thermal ones which I attach  with hooks, not the sewn in variety whiach would have been included in the one price of £45. They also told me, unpicked hems were not acceptable, as curtains might fray. They suggested I took them across the road to a Launderette, which advice I was glad to follow. There they will do a service wash, dry and press curtains and liners for the princely sum of £25 pounds. That was a no brainer, wouldn't you say?!

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Happy Poetry Day Penny!
    Where's ya'r poem for the day,eh? :D

    You did a lotta work, hmm!
    Wind-chime in your room kinda looks cute (out in the open to elements!):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dry cleaners are outrageously expensive. I think you have to be rich to afford them. I wonder how they stay in business?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a massive amount of money for the curtains to be cleaned. I'm sure they'd be fine at the launderette. Otherwise they would have been washed by hand in my bath with my back suffering for ever more if they were mine!
    I see you have wind chimes!!!!!! Hope they are not annoying your neighbours!!!!! LOL!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your door installation went well--we need one done as well.

    We used to have curtains on our back sliding door, but the dog and the kids kept knocking them down. Fortunately, the field is open behind us and there is no need for privacy at that window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose the laundrette's fine if you don't mind sill-length curtains on their return, Jinksy?! Hope you're feeling the benefit of the A rating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears from the photo that, given the necessity, it was a good day to have a large opening created in your home. Enjoy your new window/door, and the newly laundered curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll be as warm as toast this winter!
    Don't teeter up the step-ladder too many times with heavy curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your view into your garden is nice, Jinksy. Now you need to show us the finished improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my! What a project. Isn't amazing how things can be broken down and rebuilt in an afternoon day??? amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid that if I didn't get Prompts, my laziness would overtake me, and I might write two haikus a year..
    So glad you found a cleaning solution, sometimes it pays to buy a new item, what with those prices! Fun read..thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Jinksy, I would say. Pays to think before you leap, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, curtains. I'm not commenting on that subject! I have learned my lesson. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, how life intervenes, eh, Jinksy? I am adding "Napple Waffle" to the lexicon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you made a wise choice! The cleaning wouldn't have probably matched the cost of the drapes! How exciting to have upgrades to the homestead though. You are going to love the warmth of the new doors -- no airy drafts. Enjoy the upgrades Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good thing they suggested this option. So do we get to see the new look?

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...