Saturday, 23 October 2010

Seize The Day

If I did that this morning, I think it would be to strangle it. Having been brought to consciousness by a dream in which I was searching for a loo on a crowded train -obviously to alert me to the fact a trip to the loo in real life would be a good idea (!)- I  eventually clambered back into bed shortly after the dreaded Four O'clock In The Morning (witching hour for insomniacs) and switched on BBC World Service, in the hope I'd be lulled back to sleep.

No such luck; the subject under discussion was Money, or rather Britain's lack of it - guaranteed to keep anybody wide awake, not just me.

Having suffered from this imposed gloom for several minutes, my attention was drawn to the battering of torrential rain on my flat roof, punctuated intermittently with a dull 'Thud!'.....'Thud!'
'What on Earth is that?' my mind chipped in. I replied ' Nothing. Must be from next door neighbour falling out of bed.'
Well, how could I expect myself to come up with a logical explanation at that unearthly hour?

I searched though my mental index file of things that go bump in the night, and eventually found a match. The side door in my wooden fence must be banging against the house. The two Everest workmen who had gone out that way earlier on Friday, must have failed to close it properly, drat them. From the sound of the wind and rain, there was not going to be any let up on the weather front for some time.

This called for action.

I pulled on a pair of black Wellingtons,  struggled into a colour co-ordinated, green and black waterproof jacket over the top of my shortie nightie, and exited via my shiny new patio door to fasten the offending object securely. The grey half light snuggled a welcome round me, as musical raindrops beat a tattoo on my hood. Yes, the gate was swinging wide. The men had obviously made no attempt to close the latch properly.

So, dear reader, that was why at five o'clock, clad in shorty nightie and Wellingtons  (I discarded the rain splattered jacket) I sat down before my trusty computer to share the tale of my rude awakening. The boots, brand new ones bought in honour of last winter's snow and never actually worn before, are quite cosy on my feet, but the shorty nightie makes me glad I can go back upstairs to my waiting duvet, as soon as I finish typing this, to reheat the chilly bits of my anatomy.

Have a good weekend, people...

23 comments:

  1. Dear Pen,
    I like that one very much!!! Expecting a "positive start" into a day I was surpised - and laughed, seeing you in front of me, in those new boots that are made for walking. Hope you found some sleep afterwards - otherwise I have a beautiful tip that an English poet sent to me: camomile tea she recommended. Come to think of it: that might sound very familiar to you??? LOL Britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was rudely awakened at the same time by rain - I thought about switching the light on to read, but knew that would alert the cat who would be in soon enough demanding to be fed... I got back to sleep after an hour or so of tossing and turning and am now bright eyed and bushy tailed - have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the 4am wakeups. Mine are usually closer to 2. Preferable, in my life: there's time to go back to sleep before the workday begins.

    Truly a dedicated blogger you are, to recount your tale immediately, while still be-Wellied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How irritating! I rarely manage to get back to sleep once woken, much as I usually want to. Well, that's my excuse for persistent bad temper ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the next door neighbour wasn't looking out of the window while rubbing the bump on their rump to witness this early-morning vision! Sweet dreams, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I can imagine you just as effortlessly offering this description of your attire to a stranger's voice on the telephone, in response to his heavily-breathed "Tell me what you're wearing?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take a cat nap and seize the day from there. Sometimes that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TMI...TMI...TMI...(Too Much Information)

    But hilarious.

    One reason I hate waking up suddenly is that I never get to finish that dream, and it never finds its way back into my head again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is better than fiction sometimes...loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something going bang in the night can be so annoying, but you however, you jump to action in your short nightie and spring into your boots. I like your description of the noise and how your first thought was just people next door falling out of bed. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am filled with admiration for your attempt at colour-coordination at that unearthly time in the morning Jinksy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is it about four o'clock? I have often found that if I've been having a sleepless night up until then, that stand a good chance of sleeping after four.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilary took the words out of my comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A former colleague of mine once said, "At four in the morning, everything is apocalyptic." Ain't it the truth! And the fashion statement was delicious: indeed, no one should be out in the rain at 4AM closing a banging door without properly color-coordinated attire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you always dress to match at 4am.....that is a rude awakening, hope you were able to go back to sleep........:-) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stopped by here today because I was feeling stressed out, uptight, cranky, cantankerous and a number of other things, but I knew that your blog would brighten my day and put a smile on my face - and sure enough it did. So, now add 'grateful' to my list of adjectives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the Czech language, "Wellies" are "HOLINKI" (Don't ask how I come to know that.)
    So what we see in this early morning escapade is - "Jinksy in kinky holinki." Or is it "Kinky Jinksy in her holinki" . . . the picture will live forever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning, first off, thanks for your visit. Second, what a rude awakening at 4am. I can see why you weren't sleepy after turning on the news, then hearing the bang and thud through the night. I thought perhaps you were going to say, you accidentally shut the new door and locked yourself out. Glad that didn't happen. We had a dear neighbor, two doors down from us, that did that one Sat. morning. She worked five days a week, and on Sat. she decided to wash her patio door, but accidentally locked herself out. When I went to the mail box, I heard someone call my name and looked around, didn't see anyone, then I heard her again and found her standing at the edge of her garage in her PJ's. She called me, because when we moved into this new home, they couldn't find the keys, so they gave us a master key, which would open any house on this block. She knew we had it and it would open her door through the garage to her kitchen. It was amazing how many neighbors would come borrow that key, we finally had our locks changed and got rid of the master keys. I kept telling Abe, if someone has something come up missing, they might try to blame us. LOL Hope you got a better sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The title of this post reminded me at once of a coffee mug I use often; on its side is the photo of a sleepy cat and these words: "Seize the day and then go back to bed." That's just what you did, but I'm happy that you took a few minutes between rising and retiring to tell us the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Had to leave as comment after reading that!
    I thought you were going to tell us that the wind slammed the door shut and you had to shiver in the rain till someone came to rescue you!
    Glad that didn't happen.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  21. As someone who a) knows the "witching hour" well b) has the bladder capacity of a gnat c) has that same mental filing index d) is wont to wear inappropiate clothing in public to cart things down the driveway or sneak out to backyard to snap photos, I find this post very comforting.

    What is an Everest Man? I have visions of someone in climbing gear with crampons and crevasse ladders.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Kat! - You have me sitting here laughing like a loon! An Everest man – or rather two of them- fitted my new, double glazed patio doors a couple of weeks ago. I may have to blog in a future post about the reason why they had to return last Friday – it’s another typical Jinksy tale...Sadly, no crampons, climbing gear or crevasse ladders
    Will feature in it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha ha, I really enjoyed this post and think that the cartoon in your following blog(only wearing wellies) is most appropriate! - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...