Wednesday, 27 October 2010

As Clear As Mud

Sometimes, similar murky words can come out of my mouth, or off my keyboard. And so it was when I mentioned an Everest Man. To Kat , those words conjured a mountain-climbing hunk, complete with crampons, crevasse ladder and probably carabiners enough to sink a battleship.

In reality, The Everest Window Fitter was back here following A Complaint. By me. Not because of faulty fitting or below standard goods. Dear me, no. But Strange Happenings on the outside surfaces of the glass, which meant that when the sun shone upon them, Smears, Ghostly Smears obstructed my view. All the time the weather remained cloudy, the doors appeared pristine, but sunshine transformed them so's I could believe they'd been in situ and unwashed for years.

After my attempts to clean them with varying mixtures of water, washing up liquid, vinegar, scrunched up newspaper, scrim and elbow grease, I telephoned Everest Customer Service. Like you would.
An appointment was made for a Manager Man to come and inspect them at the end of the week.

He too, expended much elbow grease attempting with chamois leather and water to make them sparkle, but finally admitted defeat. He arranged for the fitters to come back to use their industrial glass cleaning products for a second time, which they duly did. And left my side gate unlatched on their way out.

So the tale has gone full circle, as my tales have a habit of doing. Bit like me really - I spend much of my time going round in circles...Don't we all?

With a change in the weather, sunshine has been conspicuous by its absence, and the silver lining to this cloud means my windows have looked transparent as intended... But woe betide Everest if we have a sunny spell in the next few days, and my world appears smeary....

20 comments:

  1. So it's a wait and see situation...hope the industrial glass cleaner worked and the Ghostly Smears have vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be weary of being smeary!

    The world divides into those who shut gates and those who don't...

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah vinegar and scrunched up newspaper! I had forgotten - my mother had us all cleaning windows using this method when we were in our teens.

    Funny you should mention those mountain-climbing hunks; a friend e-mailed the other day to tell me that I ought to take up climbing, at least in her experience you were more likely to find hunks there than lurking in the aisles of your local supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're not double panes, are they, with stuff on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ... just had to tell you that the verification word for that comment was "ashol." So, I guess Google doesn't think that thy're double panes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Industrial glass cleaner sounds interesting . Our windows are always smeary, even when just cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe! AC, I often feel like calling blogger that myself! The windows are double glazed, but it’s definitely nothing on the inner surface. The Manager Man said all kinds of stuff was put on the panes during manufacture of the units, and he agreed with me – it was like a greasy or oily residue had been left behind on them.
    It was very strange – on the first morning after they were installed, when I opened the curtains, the windows were misted up on the outside. I used a squeegee to try and clear them, and it was all downhill from then on! The sun is actually shining this afternoon, and I can’t wait to see how they look in a bit, when the beams hit the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are able to see clearly, now. Must have been frustrating to do all that cleaning and still have ghosties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The farmer cleans my windows on the inside and this low very bright sun is always the signal for him to do so - it doesn;t half show up every little smear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have windows on the south side that look like that. I keep complaining but HH never seems to see anything. You know how men are, very selective in what us very sensitive wives with extra good eyesight and ears.LOL I can tell by the sound when an appliance is going out. Something he doesn't want to hear.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the brighter side (pun intended), don't you have a lot of rainy days over there? So you will be smear-free more often than not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best cleaner in the world is soggy newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother used newspapers as well Jinsky, I really dislike smeared windows when the sun is shining.....good luck sweetie, .....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, be honest, you didn't expect Everest to be doing that today, did you?! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My understanding is that newspaper is no longer the very best polisher for windows. Vegetable ink . . . makes smears.
    I can imagine your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand these days that sometimes, in an attempt to make matters better, they turn out worse, at least temporarily. We had some windows replaced recently and they were very nice except the man had forgotten to put the sealant on one of them and we were cascaded with sandy dust for a few weeks until we realised what was causing it. He had to come back and fix it,which he did but we had to wait til he was in the area, of course.
    Hope yours are ok now.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fully understand, Jinksy. There is little as aggravating, on an otherwise lovely day, as having a wonderful view blocked by some sort of schmutz on one's windows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so annoying! I hear the side gate slapping, too, as if I were there. Perhaps the only solution is to raze the house, erect a yurt or a tepee, and spend most of one's time outside, where windows matter not. Impractical, I know . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you got satisfaction over your windows Penny (we hope!) I agree, the job must be done right. Good on Everest for doing that. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Pen,
    I wrote a whole chapter in my book on window-cleaning - but in your case I don't believe that the method of cleaning is guilty. Maybe the panes are coated by the manufacturer with a slight film? (the Everest man should know). Hope you are able to see clearly soon - also on a bright day!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...