Sunday, 31 October 2010

A Hard Day's Night

Right! No one, I say, no one, will come to my door to pester me tonight!

* * *
As it grows dark, I hunch over my cauldron, don my pointy hat and prepare my potions. Drips and drops of fizzing liquids, green gloop and scarlet sludge plop into my selection of gruesome, ground up goodies: thorn- sharp eagle talons:  slimy lion bogies: scratchy tiger whiskers: snapping crocodile scales. The marble of my pestle and mortar is deathly cold to the touch, as it clatters and cringes at my enthusiasm.  Soon, the toughest rat’s skull bone is reduced to powder in the twinkling of a bat's eye.

“Splotnoggin,  flopkerood!  Impellunset quinkle!”

Secret spells leave my lips as each noxious ingredient is added to my brew. The mixture bubbles, plops, hisses like a geyser, rumbles like a miniature earthquake, and I chortle.

”Listen to that magic sound,
it says "Wicked", I’ll be bound!”


By the time moonlight reaches the dimmest corners of my hidey-hole, the work is complete. Steam rises from the luminous mouth of the cauldron  as I carry it to an open window and place it on the sill. The smog cloud drifts out and up, up over the neighbouring houses and gardens, billowing, ballooning, growing, until eventually it covers them all.

* * *
Now, with midnight passed, I am happy with the results of my wizardry.  Not even the tiniest ghoul braved my doorstep. I don’t think my neighbours have been bothered, either, for no revelry disturbed the evening quiet. I made sure of that.

As I climb on my broomstick for one last tour of inspection before bed, I’m pleased with my evenings work... I will have to remember to use the same spells next October the thirty first. That American ‘Trick or Treat’ custom is one import we British can do without...

***








Halloween's coming! The witch-hag is nigh!
On hovering besom high in the sky,
in black cloak and hat, see her silhouette fly!

A familiar black cat perched on the handle,
ears all a-twitch, long tail a-dandle,
watches the stars, each bright as a candle.

Mewling spells to the moon, he fills us with fear.
So, remember, children, it's best you steer clear
of fast flying broomsticks once Halloween's here!

For anyone who read Alias Jinksy's  Friday Flash 55, I apologise, for this is the same - only different! LOL :) And it happens to fit the bill for the Poetry Bus, too!

28 comments:

  1. Loved your witchy imagery, Jinksy! In my opinion, we could do without Trick or Treat, too. Curmudgeon that I am, I turn off all my outside lights, and any light that could shine through a street-side window. I retire to my bedroom to read or watch TV and ignore the doorbell if it rings. It's still Saturday 10/30/10 here, and I was away at a family birthday celebration so am unaware if anyone came trick or treating this evening. I shall be in absentia tomorrow evening, also. The little goblins and such are out of luck if they think they can find a treat at my door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but Jinksy, you have demonstrated by your prose that the true spirit of Halloween lives on in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am NOT coming to your house! I promise! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't fool me. You're no broomstick in the mud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately Halloween isn't on our list of National customs (yet).
    Far too scary for me. Although shopkeepers desperately try to introduce it in our country.

    Just in case... I'll keep your spell and recipe in mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fine stew;-)
    Actually, we imported Hallowe'en after exporting it to the Colonies - well, the North American colonies, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its just so sad the amount of pumpkin pulp wasted this time of the year .... please don't be offended if I don't use the same ingredients in my winter soup today

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only clean behind the refrigerator once a year ... Oct 30 ... to find the bat wing and eye of newt that always gets away ... so I can add them to the cauldron..... :D Happy flying ... don't forget to fasten your broom belt.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. jinksy there'll be two hundred or more little urchins knocking on my door tonight! the ones i enjoy the most are the little wee'uns who are so small, so young that they really have no clue what's going on except that strangers are putting candy into their carry bags. strrrrrrrrange!!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh well they drag me in. I set up my Madame QMM's fortune telling booth at the entrance of my garage door and since I know all the neighborhood kids and their parents fascinate them with stories of their parents when they were little ghouls and they think I am a magic wizard. LOL Happy Halloween.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that little witch on the broomstick looks pretty friendly, Jinksy! We live so far off the road, only our grandchildren come to the door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ma, Ive known for a long time you were a witch!! A white one tho me thinks x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you my darling daughter! LOL XX

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ingredients in your brew would dispel the witches of Macbeth. The poem brings them back with reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hehe - I can't be doing with all the trick or treat thing, but got off lightly this year with just 2 calls. Liked the clever rhymes in your pome - 'dandle' is a word I can't get enough of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely lead-up, Jinksy. What exactly did the cauldron's stew do? What happened to the kiddies, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a real ghoulie spell of prose you have created this day Penny! Brrrrr!! Glad I live across the globe from you today! :-) Dave

    ReplyDelete
  18. When did Halloween start becoming popular over there?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Words of wisdom in the poem Jinksy. I shall of course steer well clear of any aeronautical witch-hags.

    ReplyDelete
  20. giggle, Stopping in to say thank you for the birthday wish. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please send me the recipe for that brew, I was inundated with callers! :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew you were good with words but I did not know you were good at making witches’ potions. Next you should get into politics, as some candidate here who started into witchcraft and is now running for a government seat !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didnt come to your house.. i didnt want a spell putting on me hehehe x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very atmospheric, great way to get in the mood for tonight:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i will watch out for that witch in the broomstick...nice halloween brew ~

    happy halloween ~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jinksy, this is full of the most splendid words. I gloated over your gloop. Lovely jubbley.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Me thinks you protest too much. For one not fond of Halloween Trick or treating, seems you have a number of tricks you can't wait to spring on unsuspecting youngsters, lol. (it doesn't say who should be the trickster and who the trickee, and children do relish a good scare; that's half the fun!)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...