Sunday, 9 August 2009

The Games Children Play

6.30 am on a Sunday morning, and here I am, in front of the computer, wondering 'Now, how to amuse them today?' as the line goes in that wonderful poem by A A Milne. What, you've never read it? Then here goes:-

Sneezles

Christopher Robin had wheezles and sneezles,
they bundled him into his bed;
they gave him what goes with a cold in the nose
and some more for a cold in the head.

They wondered if wheezles could turn into measles,
if sneezles would turn into mumps;
they examined his chest for a rash, and the rest
of his body for swellings and lumps.

They sent for some doctors in sneezles and wheezles
to tell them what aught to be done.
All sorts and conditions of famous physicians
came hurrying round at a run.

They all made a note of the state of his throat,
they asked if he suffered from thirst;
they asked if the wheezles came after the sneezles -
or if the first sneezle came first.

They said, 'If you teasle a sneezle or wheezle,
a measle may easliy grow;
but humour or pleasle the wheezle of sneezle,
the wheezle will certainly go.'

They expounded the reasles for sneezles and wheezles,
the manner of measles was new.
They said, 'If he freezles in draughts and in breezles,
then phtheezles may even ensue. '

Christopher Robin got up in the morning,
the sneezles had vanished away,
and the look in his eye seemed to say to the sky
'Now, how to amuse them today?'

As I wrote the title of the post, I fully intended to waffle on about a few childhood games my Gran and my Mum told me about, once upon a time. But having copied out these verses for the uninitiated amongst you, ( if there are any?), I thought 'Enough is enough!' I shall desist from elaborating upon those until another day, and let you simply revel in the Sneezles - the germ free way...

P. S. Splellchecker has just had a fit - sneezles and wheezles are not for him!

22 comments:

  1. There were all sorts of rhymes and songs going when I was a child about Christopher Robin, though I hadn't heard this particular one.

    Spellchecker is a bit choosy about his words & very pro American!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read that one before, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have children here today, and it will be too wet to get them outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello jinksy - christopher robin was a huge part of the magic of childhood for me . . . there aren't very many children who don't know the dream of their animals coming to life and there it was - for "real" in those stories. later, i read milne's poems and was transported in a different still magical way. i'm looking forward to reading about the games you knew. there's something so essential about childhood games that remains close to the core of who we are. have a lovely day! steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jinksy,

    Add me to the list of newcomers to this poem. Just what the doctor ordered for a Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jinksy and go figure "spell checker"-HA! Unless I'm not sure, I'll not resort to using it.

    I always did like this Milne work, here( oh bother...much of it, I like ), as it just blended in to my chilhood so well. Ta much for re-introducing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the American rapper crowd says, "Fer shizzle!" (I hope this is clean).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jinksy. I'd not come across 'Sneezles' before. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the post. Reminded of things my Mother read to me which was before the time of Dr. Seuss, etc.

    We had a lot of made up games we 3 siblings played together and separately.

    My spell checker is American doesn't like my words either. I just judiciously ignore it.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coming here to read the lovely poetry :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute Jinsky.....old memories are sometimes fleeting and even a bit blurry, but Milne's stories and poems....now these are good ones........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not have a childhood in the English language so these poems and Christopher Robin are new to me. I do like the poem though and will write it down because my little grandson loves to be read funny rhymes. I need to find more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read this before, really enjoyed it. Probably a lot more now that I am older than I would have had if someone had read it to me as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one reminded me of Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends" type of writing...
    Thank you, jinsky...
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like a kid again! Thanks!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never having had first-hand experience of Christopher Robin/A.A.Milne and having read German fairy tales and poems to the children during their early years, I came to English stories and poems relatively late. Let me say that even as an adult they still make me chuckle and that at least the grandchildren got the benefit of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes I really like your poetry. This is one of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First time I've read it too. It made me think of Dr. Seuss with all of the sneezles, wheezles, and pleasles. Blogger doesn't like those words either I see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I did hear of Christopher Robin when I was young but never read this one. *s* Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it, Jinsky! Thanks so much for reminding me of how much fun Christopher Robin can be.

    Blessings,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just brilliant. I love the A A Milne stories but haven't specifically read any of his poems. Lovely

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...