Sunday, 2 August 2009

A Saturday Surprise Of The wrong Sort!

Finally, one part of the medical profession has agreed that a blood glucose reading of 7.4 put me on the diabetic scale. The other part, the Hormone Watch, has yet to have their wicked way with me. Anyhow, Friday morning saw me closeted with the nurse, while she explained the do's and dont's, gave me half a tree's worth of booklets and leaflets, and a cunning device for DIY measuring. This had the happy name of FreeStyle Lite. And yes, it did have a capital letter in the middle of a word.

She also provided a prescription for the little strips that work by capillary action to suck my blood(!) and the lancets that make this possible without need to slit my wrists for a sample. Fine. I duly presented Boots Chemist with the slip, and toddled home with the resultant bag of goodies.

I then had great fun reading all the literature, and trying out the new gadgets. Here I need to explain.The tiny needles are encased in a blue plastic holder, which slips into the round hole in the electronic monitor.

When I opened the box of 100 lancets, they were grey - and square. And we all know of the square peg-round hole syndrome.
I failed to convince Boots, when I phoned, that there had been a mistake, and was asked to take everything in on Saturday, for them to inspect.

At this point, Sod's Law came into force. Saturday was grey and wet. No walking in Birkenstock, bare toed comfort, for boots, raincoat and hat were obviously needed. My little black leather ankle boots had hibernated in the shoe cupboard, but on inspection, seemed to be wearable still. Off I trotted, once clad, and eventually the Boots pharmacist agreed the square/round problem, and said they'd have words with the surgery on Monday.

I headed homeward, trundling trusty shopping trolley before me, head down against the elements. By the time I reached the homeward straight, I noticed my two feet were not making the same sound as I walked; the right seemed to squelch. I put this down to my favouring one foot, due to somewhat wonky right knee, and thought no more of it.

Once inside the front door, I took off soggy mac and cap and headed down the passage to sit in a chair so's I could unlace the boots. This is where the surprise came in. Both soles had disintegrated, the right one more than the left, and when I glance back down the passage, there was a trail of crumbled, black, sponge like substance left in my wake... Just as well I'd not had to walk through any puddles. As it was, my right sock had just begun to show signs of sogginess, though the left was unscathed.

I've never had a pair of boots die on me before. It goes to prove the old adage, there's a first time for everything.

P.S. Please note, folks , they were NOT Wellingtons! I don't have Wellington shaped feet. I have Birkenstok shaped feet - wide and square at the toes.

23 comments:

  1. Wellies never wear out, do they? And you can get ones with pink polka dots. Very cheering when walking in the rain, I imagine.

    Wellies never wear out, do they? And you can get ones with pink polka dots or other such designs. Very cheering when walking in the rain, I imagine.

    Sorry to hear that you're going to have to puncture yourself, Jinksy. My brother-in-law has the same problem as you do, but seems to be able to manage it very well and with no major upheaval in terms of lifestyle, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jinsky, how long were those wellies in the cupboard?-LOL!

    And as one whose family is afflicted with diabetes( Mum the past 19 years ), it will do well to do regular sugar level testing. Could prevent problems down line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only birkenstock made boots. i live in my birks too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we too had a wet and miserable day yesterday. today is sunny and trying to be warm. i hope yours is too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Jinksy! Only you can make the news and technicalities of diabetes sound hilarious. I could just picture you troddling along in the disintegrating booties. Seriously though, I hope you get your condition managed so that you are heathly, happy and as always - witty! Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the same sorta webbed foot configuration. Makes shoe-buying fun, eh? Sorry about your trials and tribs, but glad you've got your glucose meter (almost fixed) and ready to go.

    Is this the same as our Murphy's Law: Sod's Law?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a pair of shoes exploding (or imploding) on me once day while teaching. Both soles simply disintegrated. It was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. I hope everything gets sorted out very soon and that you'll feel like a new person (hopefully with new boots).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jinsky, not you too! In Canada we are considered diabetic if our readings are higher than 7 (4 to 7) is normal so you are right on the borderline....you probably can control your sugars just with a moderate change in diet and the UGLY word exercise. I have just been taken off one injection a day, and now only take one in the evening...my reading this morning was 5.1, it can be controlled Jinsky and you will feel so much better when it is and I am so happy you caught it before it got completely out of hand. Take care of yourself my friend and next time wear your Birkenstocks anyway....they are so comfortable! ...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not suprised about the boots - it's so soggy in the UK at the moment, rubber is the only way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Hormone Watch sounds a bit scary.

    I don't have Wellington feet either, if I can squeeze them though the ankle opening they are too big and flap about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! literally have walked your boots to shreds - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jinksy - old bloggy pal - only you could make a funny blog out of something as serious. Well done you,, soggy feet and all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you made it back home safely. My tester has this little round opening, but I find the little lancets are more square then round, but it still holds them in place long enough for me to stick my finger for enough blood to test. I don't take any medication for diabetes, just suppose to watch what I eat. I think mine is called a FreeStyle Flash tester. Good luck with yours. Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  15. and just how old are those boots then? I bet they're older than you realise Jinksy.
    Sorry to hear you've got the problem! I hope you soon get used to all the new medication.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  16. ... and still you manage to report it all with a sense of humour!!!
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a wellie for every foot! What else would we country bumpkins wear otherwise?
    Sorry about the newly acquired ailment. I understand one can live with anything, in fact, I am walking proof of that. Well, hobbling proof at least.
    Keep pricking, tell us when you've become totally holey.
    Do you like Rilke? I'll be visiting you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear!! I had to laugh at the trail of 'stuff' down the hall. Thank goodness you didn't have to walk further. I live in Wellingtons, if they're a bit big I just put on an extra pair of socks! It's needs must in this climate. I do hope you sort out your diabetes and you are very borderline, so diet and exercise should do the trick for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sent your FreeStyle Lite comment to my daughter. Like you, she's a collector of oddities, particularly of the grammatical sort, but she doesn't have much of a sense of humour about them. I hope you get the hang of your glucose metre quickly. You seem to have a nice practical attitude towards it, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You certainly take things in stride, Jinksy! Literally, in this case, since your strode (is that a word?) your boots to pieces whilst obtaining the required accoutrements for monitoring your blood sugars. I know you'll do everything necessary to keep yourself healthy and feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope that you have now resolved both the boot and puncture outfit problems, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diabetes, eh? Well, sorry to hear that, but it's controllable, of course, so not the worst news one could get from a doctor. Take care of yourself! You're far too nice (and talented) to leave us because of a bit of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. I am happy the doctors seem to have pinned down the problem. Over here in the US we have to pay for anything considered experimental and my hormones are considered experimental; therefore, I have to pay for my own blood tests, and medicine. All because my doctor likes the Phyto's over the ones made from horse pee. Sorry, I didn't mean to digress to my own problems.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...