Friday, 26 November 2010

It's Not Sepia, And Today Isn't Saturday

But on looking in my picture files, I came across this fairytale row of houses and I couldn't remember having posted them for everyone to see, although I know I've emailed them to some of my Blogpals.  I'm sorry for those of you who have seen them before, but aren't they extraordinary?


They always make me think of  the Gingerbread House of  Hansel and Gretel fame, and they couldn't be further removed from modern day, sleek lined architecture if they tried. There are no others around the town that look like this, so it begs the question, what were the planning department thinking when they allowed them to be built? Perhaps no such body existed then, so that any old builder with money in his pocket could indulge a whim, and create these flights of fancy. Well, what would you call them?
How far removed are they from the elegant, if slightly less than perpendicular, row of cottages, a little to the left of this bend in the road?

I'm not sure whether I tilted the camera at an odd angle when I took the photos, or whether ancient builders failed to use plumb lines, but the more I tried to choose which upright to align with the edge of my screen, the harder became the choice. Nevertheless, you can see Havant is a quaint and charming place - bit like its inhabitants I guess, says she, chortling...

9 comments:

  1. Actually I love these buildings as they remind me of the less elegant rowhouses of Baltimore MD where I lived for awhile after I was first married.

    I don't know the date of these buildings but I bet they are close to a century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camera's tend to distort what the eye sees or thinks it sees. I think there's a name for this, but darned if I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have me intrigued - what are the iron "X's" on the building?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful houses, are they near you Jinsky? Hope you are warm and cozy, heard it was cold over there just now.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a charming place - looks indeed like a fairytale row..nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, those first houses would look quite at home here in Neckelchester village!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way these look. There's a big push here on this side of the pond for new communities to be walking communities. The drawings look a lot like these photos except they have shops at street level and living quarters above. The streets are very narrow utilities are burred or come from behind the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting little row of houses--you do live in a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very charming, cute and lovely indeed! And I'm not only referring to the houses of Havant ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...