Saturday, 20 November 2010

Not Another Weathermap?

I was looking at some Photopaint images I have stored on the computer, and this one made me think of the wind that has been swirling around at times during the past week... Though it certainly wasn't in the warm pink temperature range, being more reminiscent of blue faces and blue moods of winter, with its unexpectedly chilly blasts..

You would never guess what this image started its life as, so I'll tell you. It was my two small granddaughters.  Dressed to the nines in full Princess Regalia when they were still both knee high to a grasshopper, as the saying goes, they posed proudly for my camera when they came to visit. An idle moment found me playing with different options on the Arcsoft programme I used at the time, and further dabbling with Paint created this whirling vortex which I decided had a certain charm all its own.

I still find it puzzling that a random set of shapes and colours can suddenly make one think "That's it! Don't change a thing!" But I suppose every creative artist, no matter what their preferred medium, reaches the same conclusion eventually, or no music,  no writing, no pictures and no craft work would ever be completed and offered to public view.

Once any of these works are let loose in the world, they too swirl in vortices of their own, blown on the winds of chance...

18 comments:

  1. It seems that one can spot vestiges of the real room on the fringes beyond the swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great Napple Painting! Yes, it is endlessly intriguing to think how any artist/musician/writer knows when "that's it." Would have been fun to see developing versions of your abstract with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great fun. Colours are hugely important and allied with so many senses. Some of us see colours as tastes and textures and of course moods. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colours are pleasing of themselves, which must help. Then, there's a bit of sci-fi, superhero thrown in, which must help too?!

    As for your previous post, I'm going for a John Bull character in the first image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preferable to a weather map any day Pen - if your weather is anything like ours today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and here I thought you put Barbie in a blender, Jinksy ;-)

    Very fun and very vibrant.

    By the way, thank you for telling me how to link to my email addy on my blog. It's actually a conscious choice that I don't have it listed. Not because I'm unfriendly but because I end up with the most atrocious spam whenever I list my email automatically, so I just give it to people when they ask: stillshimpy@yahoo.com if you ever need to reach me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a strange but very amenable alien life form. I like the bold colours - I guess your granddaughters were wearing pink?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must have been during your Picasso period. But the resemblance is truly remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a pretty cool picture, if it were a huge oil painting it would sell for thousands of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right. I love when suddenly we know when a creative piece is done, the moment we are able to say, yes, this is it.

    Not to mention how beautiful those colors are together.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like we will get a storm of blancmange!
    I wonder what your granddaughters thought about you turning them into this whirlwind?
    It is a pretty whirlwind though!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. What do you mean, they are your granddaughters?
    Couldn't you have got them to stand still for a second, while you took their photo?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. The colors are very vibrant and wonderful. Mine gets like that when she decides it is time for grandma to chase her for photo. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might, or rather, Clive Bell might, be able to shed some light on your question, Jinksy. I studied Aesthetics in my final year at University and Bell's theory on 'significant form' was one of many suggested explanations as to what makes a work of art appealing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As the mother of said children, I have to say most of our time is soooooooo much calmer than the whirl wind there, but on the odd occasion that's it exactly! I'd like a copy Ma please!(plus the original?)xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this paints a good picture of the spin I'm in at the moment, but the pinks are very soothing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chases away grey day blues! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks really pretty, Jinksy! You have the artist's eye, that's for sure!! Those colors swirl and twirl so gorgeously together.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...