Wednesday, 1 December 2010

A Wandering Day In Blogland

Here at least, any snow encountered is the imaginary kind. In my travels this afternoon, I noticed a post by a fellow blogger, Cad, whose choice of picture made me do a double take, and I eventually asked him if I might purloin it. He was kind enough to say "Yes!" I thought it would give exactly the right chilly feel to one of my favourite wintry poems by none other than A A Milne and his trusty Bear Of Very Little Brain. This is, of course, one of the Hums Of Pooh.

The more it snows
 Tiddly Pom
The more it goes
 Tiddly Pom
The more it goes
 Tiddly Pom
On snowing.

And Nobody knows
 Tiddly Pom
How cold my toes 
 Tiddly Pom
How cold my toes 
 Tiddly Pom
Are growing.


It needs to be sung by two people, with the smallest of the pair singing the Tiddly Poms. My brother and I used to take great delight in such a performance, back in the days when he was actually smaller than his Big Sister, a state of affairs which was VERY short lived, believe me. (Short lived - Ha! Get it? You will if you realise he was one destined for the 6ft plus brigade) Snowy weather always needs the Tiddly Poms to complete it...

"Tiddly what?" said Piglet. "Pom!"said Pooh.

13 comments:

  1. It's snowing here lightly, perfect time for reading or singing your post, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eldest, but now shortest of four I empathise with you Jinksy!

    Perfect poem for the weather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll need a few more Tiddly Poms to lever me out of the house tomorrow .
    Tiddly Poms and a huge Pom Pom hat , perhaps .

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, the snow has missed you this time? Well, the Tiddly Poms more than make up for any lack. Wish I had the audio of you and your once shorter brother on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Pooh. My favourite bear in the whole wide world. Tiddly pom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, this morning, we have it in abundance...tiddly pom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TIDDLY POMS?? Surely this is what our Australian brothers would call inebriated Enlishmen? And I've always heard, drinking alcohol in cold weather brings hypothermia closer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, tiddly pom indeed.

    My little brother is taller than me as well--I can relate to your regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was lovely.
    It is very, very cold but so far not much snow.
    Tiddly pom!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem really suits the great white North today....but I do love snow just wish it wasn't so darn cold.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. sigh, reminds me of childhood - love Pooh. But no snow here of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the TIdley Pom; I think a clever musician could make a fun round song out of this poem, with the writer's permission, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...