Sunday, 6 February 2011

Flashback!

This is a Google Image - not mine!
Blogpals know I usually post about my life's little traumas as and when they happen, but I've been mulling over this one for a while. Leaving out medical minutiae, suffice it to say, a 'phone call from my Doctor last Wednesday had me zipping to the surgery to pick up a prescription.

The pills were to be taken four times a day, with or after food, so as it was lunchtime by then, I quickly made a ham sandwich and a salad, and dutifully swallowed a tablet. I thought, as it was relatively large, that it had scratched my throat on the way down, for I noticed an uncomfortable sensation in the tonsil area that had me swigging more water, then opting for a choc-ice to cool it down.

The leaflet which came in the pill packet caught my eye, as I started to fill my pillbox, and it unfolded to show the following:- Like all medicines, it can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
It didn't take me long to realise I was one of the few!  My throat was itching, and the irritation even spread inside up to my ears! I looked in a mirror, and my uvula looked swollen and there was a bright red rash down the side of my neck. Eek!

Within a few seconds, I felt my lips swelling, at which point I rang the surgery for advice. The receptionist said she'd get the Doctor to callback immediately. It was getting hard to talk by now, so when Doctor Hughes told me to phone for an ambulance, I asked her if she could do it for me.

Next , an operator from the ambulance service telephoned and said she's stay on the line until I could tell her the medic's car was at my door, which it was within a couple of minutes.

By this time, I had red patches appearing on my skin, and I was itching like fury. The medic opened her box of tricks, while asking me lots of questions, and put  a cannula in my arm , into which she injected a hearty dose of  Piriton.

About five minutes later, the ambulance plus two more medics appeared on the scene, and transported me to the Emergency Department of Queen Alexandra Hospital - about a ten minute drive away.
At this point , I was the colour of a lobster, and felt as though I had sunburn, and was shivering into the bargain.
Thus I spent an entertaining three hours being poked, prodded, wired up, fed pills and kept under observation until I once again resembled a human being instead of a crustacean!.
I was then allowed home, none the worse for my little adventure, but a few days anti-histamine pills kept my brain rather dozy, hence the time delay before letting you share in the excitement! Hehehe!

29 comments:

  1. Good job you called when you did! It sounds as if that experience could have had a far far worse outcome. So, now, what do you do about the cure for the original condition? A substitute medication?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cure is often worse than the illness but that is taking things too far! What a horrible experience. I hope you're feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinksy, you will do ANYTHING to get blog material!

    Just kidding. It must have been terrifying. I hope you are feeling like yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you had the presence of mind to check the label and call early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Criminy. The good thing is hearing how quickly the medical people respond where you live. Thank goodness you were diagnosed quickly and accurately and were able to go home after a few hours at the hospital. Do you need to wear a bracelet with the info about the allergic reaction? Was it the same thing as what happens when people are allergic to bee stings?

    ReplyDelete
  6. jinksy! good grief . . . . steven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was a little too much of an adventure. So glad you were able to get good and prompt attention and are well again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness me Jinksy - what a horrible adventure and one you could well have done without. I suppose you could say all's well that ends well. My friend used to be a beekeeper until she went into anaphylactic shock after a bee sting. I really think these things are sent to try us as we get older. So keep taking the tablets definitely does not apply to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This wasn't just a little trauma. I am glad you got help as quickly as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks heavens you didn't wait to summon help for yourself! Another few minutes and it would have likely been too late! It might be wise to arm yourself with a little anaphylactic shock kit just in case this were to happen again. Generally, with each successive occurrence the reaction is quicker, and next time the effect may be even faster. I'm so glad you're okay now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crumbs! That was nasty Jinksy! But fortunately tha ambulance arrived quickly.
    Sometimes we never know how our bodies will react to drugs, with possible side effects.

    Eddie

    Clouds and Silvery Linings
    and Platos’s Procrastinations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your local emergency service sounds excellent and your doctor alert and efficient . And , probably most importantly , you put two and two together quickly . Still a very scary moment , though !
    Glad to hear you're feeling so much better .... and I'm amazed that your Fish Soup tribute poem could be written while you were still woozily "under the influence" .
    Look after yourself !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jinksy,were you snapping pictures as they wheeled you into the ambulance? That is a frightening experience, but it sounds like you handled it with calmness. I hope there's no next time, but if there is, could you please make sure to get your picture with the ambulance attendants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My word! It's fortunate that you were able to call for assistance before you could not do so. I trust that your medical records have been noted to assure that you will never again be prescribed that medication. Perhaps you need to wear one of those 'Medic Alert" bracelets. That was a really severe reaction.

    Glad you're still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jinksy,
    that sounds really, really frightening and I feel with you: that must have been an utterly awful experience - and I am glad that it ended so well for you and you had good luck in the bad. I wish that you recover well and you have to be good to yourself: no stiff upper lip but indulge yourself with something really nice - after such a shock you need that!
    Wish you all the best!
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  16. How scary! I'm glad that you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad everything turned out all right for you. You are one lucky lady, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Glad it all turned out fine for you Penny. Those sorts of reactions are certainly no fun. It was sure an adventure for you though and gave you blog material. Don't do it often huh? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ack, Jinksy! That's too scary. I'm glad it didn't progress any faster than it did. I hope you'll be ordering a medic alert bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. good grief, i'm sure glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know what, Jinksy . . reading this post (for which no adjective that I know is really suitable) . . got me thinking about W.H.Auden's poem "Stop all the clocks . . . "
    Do take Nana Jo's advice. Please. I mean . . where would "Fridge Soup" be without . . . . etc etc . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gawd! It's a good thing your mind and your ambulance service work so quickly. And I was wondering about the ambulance photo too. Were you clicking away when they wheeled you out of the house? LOL
    I'm so glad you're okay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! You sure had a close call there. A good insight to the efficiency of the local medical services. Good to hear that you are now back to your usual health.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrible terrible experience for you to go through.Anyway who has had allergic reactions knows how terrifying this all is. Pills...I don't trust them:)Go natural remedies Jinx ( loads of garlic parsley olive oil and chicken soup... fixes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is unBELIEVable<><><><>should i believe it, you say you have proof??????oh ya, there is your lip<><><><>i have seen your lip<><><>medications can't do that can they??????i had better check mine, can you do a poem about your medications, jinksy??????

    ReplyDelete
  26. p.pp.s,,,,you are like family you know me you bob wit and missy are all the same age quadruplets, you ought to write a poem about the four of us

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do like pink. . . but I'm glad you are a little paler now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. enjoyed your poem about your medications.,it is priceless and will go down in infamamy<><><>especially since it was just for me, all me, there is a lot of ME

    ReplyDelete
  29. BURMA SHAVE,.<><><>THREE IN A ROW><<><>YOU DO KNOW WHAT I MEAN ABOUT BURMA SHAVE, DON'T YOU??????

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...