Thursday, 17 February 2011

Shock Horror!

Have you ever caught sight of yourself in a mirror and, for a split second, not known you were looking at YOU? It's a slightly unnerving experience, though I'd be hard put to work out why. I mean, surely we always know what we look like at some level of consciousness?

But what about old photos? I was looking through the tiny computerised images of ones that my Bro sent me, and one dark photo made me want to take a closer look. Hence the shock horror...it was me!? Caught half-blink, and taken in only available light, it gives a strange, other world feel to the me-that-was, back in 1974...ish.

I seem to remember, Bro often 'bounced' the flashlight by directing it towards the walls or ceiling, and that may be what he did in this case.

Many of his rolls of film were not developed and printed as soon as he'd finished them, but travelled, unseen, all the way to New Zealand, and endured the traumas of a flooded basement before his dogged persistence rescued them and transferred his images to the computer.

 I always knew he was a dab hand with a camera, but being able to see his pictures en masse, in miniature, as they appear in my folders, gives me a whole new perspective of The Bearded Wonder, as I affectionately think of him! LOL

And now here's a beautiful 'Family Tree' photo of his wife and children that was taken round about the same time as my mug shot. Have a putty medal for it Bro! It's a corker...

And a big thank you to The Power Behind The Throne who was probably responsible for this shot of The Artist At Work! >>>>>>>>

22 comments:

  1. jinksy the family tree photograph is superb! what a lucky man to see that! steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can't say it is the best photograph of you Jinksy - so ten out of ten for putting it on your blog even though it is not very flattering. I love that shot through the trees and I love the idea of adding photographs to the family tree - should be easy enough to do on the computer methinkgs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo with the trees, that's really awesome. And I always do that - catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or somewhere, and I'll realize I do not resemble the mental image that I have of myself (which stalled somewhere in elementary school, so that I always think of myself as pudgy and awkward with huge round-rimmed glasses and a constant nerdy squint). I think I do still squint a lot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what can turn up on old rolls of film. I'm so glad you have these, especially the Family Tree; it's a wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are excellent photos! I would have a hard time seeing a picture of myself 30 years old for the first time too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that family tree photo!Nice capture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great family tree pic, but I like your style in the 70's a difficult decade to have any style if I remember correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How marvellous that he could retrieve these old photos ! It must be strange to be thrust back in time suddenly .
    At least you recognised yourself ... all I ever see is a much less glam. version of my grandmother !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old photos are great fun - so long as they're of other people. I'm constantly surprised/shocked when I catch sight of myself and more so when I hear my voice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do some bounced lighting too, but I'd say that qualifies as a failed shot -- of which I have my share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that shocking feeling of seeing myself reflected back at me someway, and not realizing whose face it was. It's never a surprisingly better looking person either.. sigh.

    I love the tree image.. it's quite enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen the tree one before - and I do believe those are my undies on show in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. B&W photos seem to have a beauty of their own. The tree one is very lovely.
    I know what you mean about suddenly recognising yourself. I often feel that when I glance up in a shop window & see this largish old lady staring back at me. Oh no....... is that what I really look like? I feel so different inside.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the family tree pic - not too sure about the one of you!

    Where in NZ does your brother live?

    To add a further comment about looking at oneself in the mirror.... Our little identical twin Grandsons took ages before they realised that in a mirror it was themself they were looking at. Before that they would point at the image and say 'brother'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Bro says that he is glad you like the tree pic.

    He named it 'O stand still, and look long, and hold yourself quiet'.

    We did not pose for the photo which is why I like it so much.

    Yes, Applepip those are your bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the tree photo but the one of your brother was very good to see. What can I say when you scare yourself in the mirror?

    I do look back at photos of my husband and I and see such youth compare to now. It is somewhat sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just joining in to say the family tree picture is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That Family Tree shot is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Come ON, guys! Any photo of the World's Greatest Blogger is worth a second look . . .

    ReplyDelete
  20. I snort me Doc! What a cheeky swine you are! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jinksy- looking in the mirror doesn't scare me- it just takes me aback as I look and say "Mom?"

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these artsy-type shots.

    Re: your comment about looking in the mirror and thinking, "Mom" that happens to me too. Weird thing is I also see my father, whom I have photos of but only met twice in my life. My half-brother (different moms) is a dead-ringer for the man and I do see that I look like my brother. So I see one or the other at times. I wish I could see ME, the person I still feel like inside who didn't look like either one, just herself!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...