Friday, 21 May 2010

History Is Being Made

I'm incuding a picture!
Because I have been holding forth on my lack of green fingers, I thought I'd give you all something different to ponder today.

This photo is piece of a shrub which decided to show its face in my garden. I believe it may have been trying to escape from next door neighbours, who'd abolished their own specimen... although possibly it simply sowed one of its own peacock coloured seeds on my side of the fence.

Be that as it may. Its rate of growth was prodigious, and for the first couple of years it provided a splash of life in what was then my barren back yard. Young leaves grew purple coloured, then turned to the green you see in the picture. If bruised, they smelled atrocious, but the white, starry flowers that appeared at the height of summer had an exquisite perfume, and the bracts and seeds were pretty in their own right, as you can see. I kept trimming lower shoots off the main stem, until it resembled a small tree, though I am sure it is actually a shrub, and set out on a long quest to discover its name.

Eventually, once I'd acquired a computer, thanks to the Internet I found the telephone number of a Nurseryman of some repute, according to his web pages. I rang, spoke to a minion(!) and asked for the boss. I was going to enquire whether I could post him a specimen for identification, but once I began describing my mystery shrub, he laughed. "I'm looking at one right now!" Talk about happenstance, eh? Of all the friends I'd asked, all the books and web sites I'd trawled through, the longest shot paid off fastest!

I can now tell you with absolute certainty it is a clerodendron trichotomum fargesii.
Aren't you glad I broke my 'no picture rule' just for that? What a mouthful!

23 comments:

  1. "...escape form next door" very funny. I love the photo, you should break the rules more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you broke your rules for that. It's lovely. Can we see a picture of the tree? Pleaaaase?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...aka "Glory Bower."
    Aren't you the information ferreting warrior!
    It's colorful and vigorous . . . and apparently attracts bees and butterflies . . . what else could one ask?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I have seen of this variety. Looks quite exotic. Invasiveness is another issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewels - the tree does't look anything at this time of year. It's a mass of last season's tangled passion flower remnants, and only a few bronze coloured, new leaves beginning to sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you told us, Jinksy, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep! Nice pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I noticed in the sidebar of my blog that you had a new post titled: History Is Being Made, I thought: "will she actually have a photo in her post"?
    And you have! I'm shocked.
    It's a wonderful shrub/tree. Haven't seen one before. Gorgeous colour. Glad you told us what it was. I would have wanted to know! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, of course, I guessed all along that that's what it was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah but what is the simple name for this little cutie? It looks like blue heads with pink skirts. It is pretty and I for one appreciate seeing the picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Jinksy. I don't think we have Glory Bowers over here. Looks exotic to me anywya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it is pretty......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to think that I helped inspire you to include your first photo after I posted my first current photo of my self on my blog. Unfortunately for my readers, I look (and smell) nothing like a clerodendron trichotomum fargesii.

    ReplyDelete
  13. clerodendron trichotomum fargesii

    I believe I had a case of that back in 1975. Penicillin cleared it right up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pleased your included a photo. That photo is pretty and it is something new – new to me at least. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what an interesting looking thing. i rather like it though i'm afraid i'd sprain my tongue if i tried to pronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I'm glad you broke your no picture rule! I love this plant. And I love that you tenderly nurtured it when it cast aside by those who did not appreciate it. A tender tale, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, we now know the Latin, but what is it called in English? lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you broke the picture rule for your blog to share this with us! I admire your determination in finding out the exact name of the species. Have a good weekend Penny -- and post pics more often, OK? Rules are meant to be broken!

    ReplyDelete
  19. jinksy, i didn't realize you had a 'no photo' rule until reading about it on this post. all i can say is thank goodness you gave us one, for certainly, a picture is worth a thousand words...especially in the case of your clerodendron trichotomum fargesii!!
    as lovely as this plant is, i can see why it is deserving of such an incredible name, and i've never seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful spray of blooms, Jinksy. Thanks for the photo of the Farges Harlequin Glory Bower; I otherwise would perhaps never have heard of this plant. I did "a Google" and found this article on no less than the BBC's Garden web site:
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-detail/PL00001680/205/farges-harlequin-glory-bower

    At another Google site, I learned that the plant has been reported as growing at Dermott, Arkansas, a small town in the south part of my state. One has to wonder how it got there. I'm sure it didn't creep through your neighbor's fence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely glad you broke your no pictures rule!!!!
    The latin name of your beautiful plant sent me immediately to Goggle. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What else do we make rules for but to break them???? ;-) Love it, Jinks...And terrific story to go with it! Sorry I'm a bit late to comment...busy past three days! Love you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  23. As IF you never broke your "no picture rule" before... ;)

    Beautiful.. and I'm glad you shared it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...