Saturday, 26 June 2010

Eureka!

Eureka is an exclamation used as an interjection to celebrate a discovery. It comes from the Ancient Greek, Εὕρηκα/Ηὕρηκα - Heurēka/Hēurēka, meaning approximately 'I have found it'.

Just now I found the following lines tucked into a folder, and thought I'd share them today, ready for the next time you feel as though everything is going wrong!


Good Advice For A Bad Day 


If one day you toss a pancake 
and it flips upon your head
and makes you feel that probably 

you should have stayed in bed;
or if passing under ladders 

leads to accidents, unplanned,
don't start to imagine 

that you're voodooed out of hand.

Although life can be fickle 

and sometimes throws a punch
that knocks you, for no reason, 

so hard you hear the crunch,
stick out your chin and take it 

to prove that you are tough,
and don't collapse and wither 

'cause the going has got rough.
Laugh at silly mishaps 

and see the funny side,
say rhubarb to the sceptics - 

say you came just for the ride!
Show you are a sterner mix 

than jelly or marshmallow.
Soon everyone will slap the back 

of such a jolly fellow.

20 comments:

  1. Eureka was always funny when it came up in science class -- to think what the guy discovered whilst sitting naked in the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to hold your head up high, breathe deeply, and get on with it. When I have one of those days, I keep things more quiet than usual and take it slow enough to smell the roses, or the coffee or the clean clothes. I wouldn't want anyone slapping my back though. Maybe a light hug. Or chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good advice.
    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jinksy - nice one!! it's hard to convince people to keep on going regardless, but i have found in my own experience that it's the best way to approach life. have a lovely day. steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last week I got tagged and had to answer 10 questions. One of which was about the best advice I ever got. Had you published this poem earlier (I put up my answers-post yesterday) it would have been easy to link to this poem of yours. However, I've answered 'relax'. Which is sort of the same ;-)

    Thanks for the free share of your good advice. Old Dutch proverb says: good advice is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had one (or two) of those types of days!
    I'll remember jinksy's advice for a bad day.
    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the sort of poem we used to recite in the old days at our Sunday school anniversary, Jinksy. Hope you are enjoying the tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well worth remembering, Jinksy. Sometimes a bit harder to do though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have lived this poem many times my friend, always come out the other side of a bad day appreciating the little things in my life.
    .....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good advice for any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was certainly wisdom at it's best, jinksy! i find it all too easy to get myself under that dreary little rain cloud but this is a great reminder that you've got to 'push' yourself out!...even if you aren't a jolly fellow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found that one! Good advice. Love that you included "marshmallow" in your rhyme!

    Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. excellent advice and you've also reminded me I should make a rhubarb crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice happy poem to start the day with! I enjoyed it.
    I'm here form poetry Potluck

    http://jessicasjapes.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/sister/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jinksy

    Yes be that hard one that can take many punches as the life though beautiful can be rough at times... Its a beautiful verse.. I liked it.
    Thanks for sharing..

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Potluck week 12 awards/treats, Enjoy

    Thank you a ton for the lovely contribution!
    Happy Friday!
    See you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Creative, beautiful. I like the advice! Poem on!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...