Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Human Error

This can be quite endearing, in an odd sort of way; a kind of unspoken battle between man and machine. Fast thinking computers may still be outwitted by a human being's input, though perhaps I mean undermined, rather than outwitted.

Let me explain how I came to choose this subject today. Last Wednesday, I placed an online order for - wait for it- some Body Shop Body Butter (their description, not mine - I'd have called it simply a creme moisturiser) in - wait for it again - cherry blossom flavour! Okay, I'm currently obsessed with cherry blossom.

So yesterday, when I was upstairs deep in the process of attempting to restore order in one of the bedrooms, 'Bang, bang' rapped somebody's knuckles on my front door (they ignored my dangling bell rope), and I had to quickly rush to the window so's they'd realise I was at home, even if no where near said door. Too often, parcel deliveries end up being undelivered, because the man with the van is too impatient to await my answer, and I get to the door in time to see their tyres squealing away in a cloud of dust. (Do they imagine people in houses are always no more than two steps from the door handle?)

Man in brown uniform waits patiently until I get downstairs to receive small packet and sign on his little machine screen. At this point, I could tell it wasn't my Body Butter, but thought it might be another purchase expected from Amazon.

After the usual fight with super strong glue on the padded brown envelope, I finally reached the contents: one pot Mineral Cheek Pink Quartz: one pot Eye Shimmer Silver: one tube Mascara Super Volume and one delivery note, purporting to be for a person living in Templars Avenue, London. Unless I had been transported by aliens in the night, I was still in Havant, and not in the least interested in silver eye shadow, mineral rouge or black mascara. Yes, it was from The Body Shop; but that, and the label printed with my name and address, was the limit of its correctness.
There is obviously opportunity for many a slip twixt printer and parcel, thanks to Human Error...which is where this post began.

A swift telephone call resulted in apologies, permission to keep the items in question, and an assurance of another delivery as per original request. If there are continuing mistakes, I might be opening a Free Body Shop branch in my living room before very long... Mascara, anybody?

28 comments:

  1. Ha ha, good story! You know, you can always make the machine take the blame but at the moment most machines are still only human! (rely on human control) :-) - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean the other person in London got your order?
    I know what you mean about the delivery men not waiting. Sometimes they don't even rap the door but just put in a note that there was no one in. its quicker.
    Hope you enjoy your body butter when it arrives!!!!!! Cherry blossom will be over if they keep you waiting too long! Ha Ha!

    Nuts in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you must have pleased somebody. To get the works sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two happy people in London today I guess, both smelling like cherry blossoms!!!
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice they let you keep the items, but if they had said return, I hope you would have told them to send a call tag, that way they pay to have it returned. Surely you have some family member or a friend that might be able to use the items. I don't use makeup that much anymore, a little lipstick and a little eye liner on the bottom ( of the eye, wanted to clarify that, didn't want you or anyone else to think I really meant my bottom) other wise my eyes seem to fade completely out. More noticeable since I no longer have to wear glasses, they seemed to give some color to my face. LOL Amazing how as I grow older and hair keeps getting more gray, my face features seem to be fading also. Such is life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. But, Jinksy!You might look lovely in Pink Quartz cheek color and Shimmer Silver eye shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A man named John Kemeny (a Hungarian-American mathematician, co-creator of the BASIC programming language, and president of Dartmouth University) once wrote, "Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Man is unbelievably slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. The marriage of the two is a force beyond calculation."

    But something went horribly awry at The Body Shop. As we say in the computer biz, "Garbage in, garbage out."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should give the cosmetics a go, Jinksy. Give yourself that cherry blossom pink blush!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the silver eye shadow will look great on you, Jinksy... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jinksy, you should have a giveaway and give the unwanted items to the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I agree with Techno. You could hold a contest giveaway--oh yeah you dislike those. I'll work on Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this cheered me up.. i love the body butters, i'm currently smelling like a bounty bar as i have the coconut version.. It was good of them to let you keep the other items too.. I'm on my way to your little shop right now as you may well sell me the items cheap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, if you're keeping the misdelivered items, might we expect a photo or two of you modeling the results of using them? I would ask for the body butter, of course, but that would be too much to ask :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come on Jinksy, show us the new you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yah I agree, I want to see you all dolled up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stink! Why can't that ever happen to me? Enjoy Jinksy, those items weren't cheap.
    I loved the Body Shop vanilla spice...
    which is why they don't make it now. I'm not telling them my new favourite is grapefruit.

    Your collaboration with Hilary was brilliant! The two of you make a wonderful team.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a sign for you to try these test tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think we need to see a photo of you with the silver and pink paint.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anything for dark circles around the eyes of not-so-young gentlemen?

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Why couldn't it have been me???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ROFL...Oh, Jinks...that's too funny...I've had things like that happen, too!! When I called, the company I was dealing with told me to keep the stuff because it was more expensive for them to pay for return shipping than for them to simply accept the loss... amazing! Hope your REAL order gets there without any further fuss :-) Love you! Janine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pink definitely seems to be in your present and future! Let me know when you have your grand opening.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my, you got me laughing there! silver shimmer eye shadow sounds hot.. I wonder where did your parcel go? To the lady in London? I hope she likes her Body Butter (moisturiser) in cherry blossom flavour!

    Smiles,
    ~Silver

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh jinsky body butter is wonderful, and I don't think you need make up.

    I am still having fun reading your comments, you do have some wonderful friends....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Any product from the Body Shop is well worth having. I love their body butter too and use loads of it. I plaster it on every part of my body. My current favourite is the coconut one. I haven't tried the cherry blossom yet. I should do a give away on the other products.
    I would be happy to receive!
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  26. Folks . . she's trying to cover her tracks! That order wot she sez was all wrong . . don't you believe it. That's the gear she needs when she kits herself out for the pole-dancin'. Come on, Jinks. 'Fess up . . .

    Must be! I mean . . Cherry Blossom? That's a brand of boot polish . . .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Doctor, dear Doctor -
    You will be in line for being given the boot if you come out with too many cracks like that! Pole dancing indeed- nothing but the best Victor Sylvester one-two-three, one-two-three for me, y’now, said she, whilst listening to the clanking of the ISTD medals on her chest...

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...