Monday, 26 April 2010

The Kindness Of Strangers

I never knew an angel could drive a taxi. Today I know it's true; I was in his cab. Let me go back to the beginning.

Last week, my doctor promised to send a prescription to my local Boots Chemist for me to collect. Come Saturday, Boots denied all knowledge of any such thing, and I spent all weekend minus the anti-seasick pills needed to keep me on a even keel, to use an appropriately nautical turn of phrase.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've not been reeling around like a drunken sailor since Saturday, but nevertheless, the deck has not remained as stable as I might like. It's all due to the gyroscope in my head - it can't always be sure which way is up, once its equilibrium has been disturbed.

Anyhow, a 'phone call to the surgery proved the missing prescription was still within its hallowed portals, and I ordered a taxi to transport me thither post haste. I asked the driver to wait outside for the return trip, which he obligingly did.

On the ride back to the town centre, I told him the tale of the mix up, with the result that he offered to take the forms into Boots, so's I'd not have to hang around the dispensary when I called in later today. Bless him. I sat in his car, parked outside of St Faith's Church, while he trotted off to the chemists with them. But when he got back, he told me they'd be ready in 15 minutes and if I was OK waiting, he'd go back and collect them as well! Talk about kind!
He pootled off on a little errand of his own, and reappeared eventually with the bag of pills clutched in his more than helpful fingers.

Like I said, I never knew an angel might be found behind the wheel of a taxi cab...but I bet his wings got awfully crumpled inside that black leather bomber jacket.

29 comments:

  1. That's not normal behavior for taxi drivers, so good for him and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lovely when our paths cross with angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get charged for the entire time you were in the taxi?? Perhaps the angel wasn't being entirely altruistic...,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love when that happens? When we find kindness in unexpected places. So happy you found someone to show you a little tlc when you needed it most. Be well Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Brague, you are a pessimist! I only got charged £3.50, and usually a one way trip to the doctor's costs me about £2.80. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely heartwarming story Jinksy. Yes, there are good people about. I once had cause to take a taxi at 4am in central London. When I got to my friend's house, the driver insisted that he went and knocked on the door rather than me - and promised if she didn't answer he would find me a hotel. He was black and he had dreadlocks - and he was absolutely marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happen to think that you being you helps someone want to be nice to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, Jinksy. You know what will make his day? If you request him specifically anytime you need a cab in future. Seriously. As an ex-taxi driver myself, I know that tickled me no end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you received help from such a generous person. My few cab rides have not been so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Restores our faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish there were more angels among us.
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh jinsky I am so pleased that he was kind to you and helped you as I know how difficult it can be on our own at times. Yes he was an angel but then again so are you.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. An angel, he certainly was. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. it touches me, the kindness of strangers! better than that, reading through your story i didn't sense any fear from you, as if he was going to do you wrong...how blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. jinksy, it's so cool to have good people in this world stepping up and sharing their goodness. thanks for telling this story here. steven

    ReplyDelete
  16. Penny, that was a nice comment on a well-meaning person. Good for him. It renews our faith in our fellow person huh? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  17. He certainly sounds like an angel... crumpled wings an' all :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Notorious drive like a drunk New York taxi drivers would not meet your wonderful angel's criteria. THat was as good as having a persona chaffeur.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i just love stories of kindness like this!
    cheers,
    todd

    ReplyDelete
  20. A little compassion is priceless. Look how many people he has touched. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very cool. a little angel for you today...love it when people are so cool like that...

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice story. I suspect there are many angels in your life... attracted to like-minded folk.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think angels come in all shapes & sizes and are noted for being there when they are needed most. :-)

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't think they made them like that any more. A tale to warm the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am glad you told that tale, we don't hear enough about kindness. There is still a lot of it about, contrary to appearances and what the papers say.

    Hope the pills help you stay sober.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a very lovely tale of kindness and so nice to read about it too. Quite restores your faith in human nature. We read such horrid things in the newspapers that sometimes it gets too much, never hearing about nice good people but I know there are so many good souls about and this has been lovely to read. Keep well Jinksy x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love when the kindness of people comes out
    I am certain you inspire that as well
    lovely story

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love hearing stories of random kindness. This made me smile !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that certainly was an angel in disguise. Hard to find them now a days. It seems everyone is always in such a hurry. Hope your problem gets cleared up in a hurry.

    We have two daughters that get that now and then, usually when the sinuses get to acting up, except the one daughter said her doctor said she has Ménière's disease.

    Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...