Sunday, 11 September 2011

Bargain!

That has to be a good thing to spot in any week, don't you agree? So for I Saw Sunday, here is one of mine. The pashmina was a gift and the darker blue fabric I've laid it on is my bargain - a pair of culottes which look like a gently gathered long skirt when you can see all of them. And here comes the fun part...
I ordered them online, and was delighted with the colour co-ordination when I opened the parcel which arrived yesterday. I rushed to try them on- perfect! Except...They were so long, they not only covered my feet, but stretched out a good few inches on the floor in front of my toes, like a pair of all-in-one flippers. Hehehe!
If I could have reached my camera, I'd have taken a picture for you, but by walking across the room to pick it up, I might have broken my neck! Hehehe again. The sight was too funny, I tell you!.
Of course, with a little nifty stitchery, they will eventually be fine, but I do believe I found the reason why they were reduced to a silly price...There can't be too many seven foot tall ladies around whose legs might be the right length to wear them without alteration!

And just for Monkey Man, I've summed up the whole thing in a mere 160 characters!

It seems a bargain can leave you with more than you bargained for. This rumination certainly has a kind of poetic justice to it, would you not agree my friend?

23 comments:

  1. Turn the spare length up, Penny, and tack the bottoms just under knee height with four sturdy stitches each leg. You will then have two extra bags for bringing your shopping home. Schimples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant advice, Doc! Sort of Cargo Pants, what? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you buy them ? Long Tall Sally ?
    I'm very taken with Dr. FTSE's idea of converting the last 18 inches of each leg into "bags for your messages" (shopping bags in Glasgow ) .
    But I would then advise the use of braces . Buy a Two For One too many and it could suddenly get a bit draughty .

    ReplyDelete
  4. S & S - love your advice about the braces!! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on, admit it - you're a midget;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jabblog - I started out at five foot six and a half, but life is gradually wearing me down - I think I'd shrunk to about five foot five, last time somebody measured - it's being nose to the grindstone that does it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pashmina. Interesting experience, buying stuff online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colours, such lovely shades of blue!

    I really love the ideas above - why waste that extra length when you can use it! Be a trend setter. LOL

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was cleaver to weave your 160 out of much longer material.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it when bargains come with EXTRA! thanks- and enjoy your purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you can find something to make out of the bit you cut off Pen - at least you know it will match perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cuppa has quite the handcrafted pashmina brought to her directly from India.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is like a bonus eh? i am sure you can find something to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to sum it up and thanks for playing along with the Sunday 160.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool that the culottes coordinated with your beautiful pashmina. And I love your funny story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jinksy ... impressed by the nifty stitchery! You ever applied for Blue Peter? Remember the sticky back tape ...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary - Sticky back plastic was one of my favourite tools! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jinksy, I hope you haven't thrown away the bits you cut off - that colour is just what's needed to complete my current patchwork project, a carry-on flight bag in dark blues and oatmeal.

    If you're 5'5" and I'm 4'11" think how much more I'd have trimmed from those culottes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As you say, very satisfactory colour co-ordination!

    I liked the condensed version too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah I a guilty of seeing a bargain and getting home and realizing it was no bargain...lol Love this narrative...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bet they were not made in UK Pen? Probably China. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  22. Doctor FTSE: Doctor Fashion To Solve Everything

    ;-)

    Lovely colours. Perhaps really high heels would solve the problem? Although you might break your neck then too. Hmm. Your own solution might be the best one.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...