Thursday, 22 September 2011

The Slow Brigade

Some time back, around the inner sides of an ornamental planter, I discovered this collection of empty snail shells. I imagine they were victims of the harsh weather we had at the start of the year, but I couldn't resist gathering them, for I immediately had visions of a future blog post.

So they sat in a small cardboard container in a corner near my kitchen sink, going nowhere fast; literally dead slow stop. What else would you expect from snail houses? "For Sale" signs and prospective buyers? I don't think so. They look a little fuzzy, as I opted for natural daylight rather than flash for this photo and its a dull day. But they have a certain charm about them, wouldn't you agree? However, I can foresee a problem now. After babysitting them for weeks and weeks, waiting for the urge to get snapping, how am I going to be able to throw them away?

17 comments:

  1. You could paste them onto a jar or round a mirror - land-shell decoration rather than sea-shell. (No, I wouldn't, either!) Throw them out - they won't take offence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At times like this I think "When the kids come to clear up the house and they find these in a box in the attic what are they going to think?" Be bold and ruthless, Bin Them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shells are fetching enough, but as for the former occupants ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those would be cleaned here and used by the kids for some crazy craft project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you ate them yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They would make a lovely crunchy noise if you jumped on them Pen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give them googly eyes and name them. They can prompt you on a slow blog day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the weavers sugestion! but they are rather gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful,though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, i think they're kinda cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh lordy- I would just put them someplace in my garden where you could glance over now and again and enjoy how they look- but definitely oust them from the inside!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a glass jar I place shells in from the beach along with the sea glass...perhaps something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You won't! I have a handful of them on the shelf by my sink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ermmmm! Just open the bin and chuck them in.
    They don't do anything for me. Not a bit like the lovely things you find on the seashore.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you've got round to wondering what to do with them . In my house they'd quietly gather dust for ever more ......

    ReplyDelete
  16. They have beautiful patterns don't they?
    Glue googly eyes on them, then arrange them in a corner of the garden, perhaps on or near some of the many fungi growing on the stump in your next post....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting that you saved these snail shells Pen. Did you know that the reason they are empty is probably because ants eat the snails and leave the shells? I have watched and photographed it happening - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...