Monday, 3 January 2011

And Here We All Were!


And now you can get an idea of how much washing up there must have been! Because this is a coloured photo, I had it tucked into a different folder, and only realised a few moments ago, it had to have been taken on the same occasion as the black and white shot I posted yesterday. 

As usual with such family gatherings, there were always 'cliques' that formed, who 'did their own thing'.

Big Boys
 
Little Boys

And Girls of All Ages!
Mum and Dad's kitchen may have been small, but the large living room in these pictures more than made up for it. This bay window was level with the treetops of the park which spread its beauty before us on the opposite side of the road. 

As it was dark outside (I think that could be the moon in the top left frame?) my earlier guess at late summer has to be wrong, it must have been well into Autumn, but I can pinpoint the year as 1967, for I had a bump which would eventually emerge as No.1 daughter on the first day of December! 

This explains why I am sitting with my feet in a bowl of water, under the table, prior to some kind soul cutting my toenails which were becoming increasingly beyond my reach. What else are families for?!

The coloured photo shows you my bearded brother in the back row, who for once got in front of a camera instead of behind, and the clicking finger in this case was supplied by the wiper-upper of yesterday. My Dad, as a chef, was busy feeding other mouths elsewhere, and wouldn't have been able to join  us until about nine o'clock. A long journey on ferry and bus would finally deliver him home from Gosport at the end of his shift in the Officer's Mess at St George's Barracks. What a trouper- though never a trooper!

20 comments:

  1. Family photos are great to have, the memories last forever in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! there are more people in that top photo than in the last four generations of my family combined! what a treasure trove you've unearthed though jinksy! steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great stuff, Jinksy! Except for the fact that there are adults in preponderance, it could be one of my school photos from the 1960's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if it wasn't the moon, what do you think it might have been? My guess is KGB agents in a helicopter making sure all the nice Brits are tucked in their flats for the night, wouldn't want any trouble, don't you know?

    My guess it is truly is the moon, at the full, which every person worth his or her salt knows causes lunacy. What else would make an otherwise sane young mum-to-be soak her tootsies in a basin in the parlor in plain sight of all her brothers and sisters, not to mention her nieces and nephews? Lucky for you you weren't arrested by the KGB for contributing to the delinquincy of minors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look pretty good for a woman expecting a baby in a couple months or so. Nice to see family photos. Your dad being a chef must have been nice for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super insight into the life of your family Pen - so often we see old photos but rarely do we get any explanation as to who is doing what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pen - I have been away in the real world for the a while and missed your posts - caught up just now! I love the old photos and wonder if in 40 years my childrne will suddenly stumble across pictures of the gathering we just had on Boxing Day?

    The last drawing you posted of your Dads - it shows a drawing of what we used to cal Kewpie Dolls. In fact if you google that - a picture of a doll in that exact pose pops up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have thought that light looked like a street lamp, but it seems like your flat would have been up too high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a warm, relaxed, and happy group. Must have been a very enjoyable get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penny - I bet you can still hear the echoes of the laughter that must have bounced off those living room walls. Lovely family pictures. I thin your famjams may have rivaled ours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, Jinksy. I really miss having access to the old photos of our family. In her will, my mother left the box full of them to my youngest sister who had a massive stroke 12 years ago and either (1) no longer remembers or (2) can no longer communicate where she may have put them. Enjoy your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great family photos. We had a lot in our family but as we scattered from Texas to California during WWII or wherever work could be found, most occasions like this ceased. And my family was small, and now much much smaller. It is nice to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your 'cliques' that do their own thing brings to mind a typical kiwi party where the women all sit in the lounge and the men congregate either in the kitchen or the garage to drink beer and swap stories. Don't know what the women talked about! I wonder if it was inherited from our UK heritage? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can really see the family resemblance between you and your brother, Jinksy. I don't mean to imply that your brother was named Jinksy, Jinksy, it's just the way I write, Jinksy.

    I think what Dave is describing is called Super Bowl Sunday here in the States, except he has his men and women reversed, except for the part about drinking beer.

    Do I make myself perfectly clear? I fear not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could explain the smile on my face right now, Jinksy. :-) Suddenly I'm both comforted and lonely.

    Love the glimpses into your life.

    Pearl

    p.s. In answer to the two posters before me, I suspect that it's that way, world 'round. The men gather in one place, the women in another. I prefer the women's group, myself, as particularly in my family the women are quite funny and it's not unusual to walk in on them while they both reach for the heavy furniture and their handkerchiefs, weak with laughter, tears running down their face. :-) I do love family get-togethers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is another fascinating insight into Jinksy's household. Thank you.
    And thank you for the "plug". It will stop me leaking. But Jinksy's followers should be warned that FTSE's blog is not for the faint-hearted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As usual Doc - you now have me laughing like a drain...Just the place for a plug. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love getting the rest of the story. Makes me think about where I was and what I was doing in 1967. Still three years away from my first daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...