Monday, 31 January 2011

At It Again!

At what? A bit of a leg pull. I have never learned to train my mind to be serious, so when I saw the illustration for Monday's Child, what sprang to the fore was not a twee, kiddywinks ditty along the lines of Peter Pan and Wendy, but a somewhat cynical observation on an aspect of our present culture. Who has not seen in the media examples of unusual age discrepancies amongst some newly weds?
Don't get me wrong.  I approve of love, providing it's genuine, no matter where it occurs.  But in some of the news items engendered by the subject, one cannot help but doubt the motives of the participants in these unbalanced unions. So this rather explains my non-child-friendly poem for today...(Apologies to BKM!)
Wedding bells and lover's knot?
Kids do grow up fast!
Look at the Toy Boy she has got -
I can't but look aghast!

The Love Bug's biting younger
participants each day  -
it must be raging hunger,
makes it carry on this way...

20 comments:

  1. 'love' today doesn't make sense to me these days anymore either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the wistful look on the little man's face as he looks back at his sorry followers . . . . steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, it's "hunger" that's raging, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can't help but think that the motive is the 'raging hunger for money' at the base of these unbalanced unions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'What first attracted you to your nonagenarian millionaire husband?'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a whimsical illustration provides a neat juxtaposition for your words, Jinksy.

    The phrase "money makes the world go round..." is ringing in my head now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's such a serious interpretation. It seems that a lot of folks see this as a raging hunger for money, which may be the case, but it also might be a case of raging hormones too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only you would come up with this angle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely urgency in the poem, especially the second stanza :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tAKE.

    have fun enjoying these prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I am a Monday's child Jinksy - and I have got me a toy boy - don't know quite how I managed it but eighteen years this year and still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A poem reflecting deep seated guilt at lusting after a toy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, but isn't it the obvious question so often anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes the present culture has many chasing toy boys...oh, but best to her for doing so...you always have a unique view of every subject....blessings Jinksy...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  15. She'll eat him alive and won't spit out the bits till she's made sure where he stashes his pocket-money. Fine cautionary verses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Priceless! I really, really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes you can't help but be cynical because often its so true!± LOL!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  18. like you Pen I sometimes wonder about age differences of some marriages. That is a good little illustration and thoughtful poem - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...