Saturday, 8 January 2011

Unbumped

I thought it only fair, in the natural course of things, to Divulge the Bulge in Person, after all these recent references to It...Her! (Him came three years later, but I doubt there are any corresponding Bump Pics available for this second time around.)
Be that as it may, here's the finished article, complete with the bootees which had been knitted earlier. Both items demonstrate how I like to finish what I start.

It may appear I have her bundled up to the Nth degree in a voluminous blanket of some sort. Wrong. She is actually dressed in one of the long Viyella nightgowns I made for her, with an undergarment I only knew of as a 'bed', according to my Mum.

This, also Viyella (a kind of flannelette), was a sleeveless, wrap around contraption which tied with tapes. It crossed over at the front, and one tape from the underneath section, slotted through an opening below the opposite armhole, and wound round to the back, where it tied with its twin tape which had sprouted at the edge of the overlapping crossover section, by the other armhole.

I still have one of these nighties, but not sure about a 'bed', as that may have been relegated to dolls' clothes duties back in the dim and distant past. Now, I can see me needing to go a-ferreting armed with a camera, again. Watch this space for revelations as to what babies wore before Babygrows took over the planet.

P.S. And this was what a 'bed' looked like, in diagramatic form for those who found the word description peculiar! >>>>>>

19 comments:

  1. Apparently, they're Grow Bags over here. I don't know how we managed without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby! looks drowned in clothes. Sounds like a flannel nightgown I made for my firstborn. I think she wore it until she was 2 it was so big. I can't picture the "bed". Was it some sort of undershirt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what smart bootees they are too! That nappy looks pretty modern with studs rather than a huge safety pin?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never heard of a "bed".

    I learn something every day. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. jinksy - it's hard to imagine that we all start so small . . . . steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to smile at the *unbumped* title! You are funny!

    The picture & your descriptions take me back.
    I can't remember the *bed* but those vyella crossover nighties for boys or girls ......yes I do remember. The days before baby grows.
    Sweet memories...... but not the terry towelling nappies to be washed out daily and hung out on the washing line so that everyone would know we were good mothers!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow,as with everything else, babies fashions have also changed a mighty bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the title too...and those cute booties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of clothing there. *s* I love the title too. I guess we all feel that way about it. So unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good lord! The "bed" sounds as if it would be illegal now, as a strangling danger to the infant! How often would one have to change that spiderweb???

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are on a trip down memory lane! a nice place to be, I know it well.

    So, do explain 'bed'?

    PS what elephantine legs? I can't see them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This photo brings back memories of 'plastic pants', the contraptions we put on our darlings to stop the dampness leaking further . . . until the plastic split, of course;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like standard hospital wear to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does AnvilCloud know that 'Growbags' in Britain are long plastic sacks of soil that you can put seedling vegetables in?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fran, I have emailed AnvilCloud with exactly that information! Maybe he wanted his kids to grow up fast?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute, and love those booties!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Memories come flooding back. My babies had Vyella nighties - and shirts and smocked dresses later on - it's a lovely fabric to sew.
    Someone gave my 2nd child a Babygro in 1964, which I found very tedious to put on a wriggling infant, but great for keeping everything together snugly.
    For grandchildren, we definitely called them gro-bags (as per Fran's definition) as they were usually well-manured and thus caused babies to grow at a phenomenal rate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't she cute! Of course had to peer at my screen closely to check out that nappy. . . are those snaps I spy?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure are handy. I know you enjoyed making the clothes and booties for your new baby. Nice photo of mom and baby and wonderful memories for you I am sure.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...