Saturday, 29 January 2011

Birthday Fallout

Another lovely photo
I have permission to let you all read the email SIL sent me yesterday, after she'd read both my post and your comments - I think it was rather special...
My goodness, the comments on your blog are blowing me away! Beauty???? I don't think so! But very, very flattering for an old girl, nonetheless.

Yes, I really was an anxious young girl because I'd had such a rough time with my father dying suddenly (in South Africa) just a couple of years before that picture was taken, and being uprooted 3 months later from everything I ever knew and taken to another country (Holland) where I arrived with NOTHING at all as the only suitcase with ALL my belongings was lost in transit. Then being sent to yet another country (England) to continue my education in yet another language. It was quite a lot for an eighteen-year-old to experience, and still stay relatively balanced and optimistic. I find it amazing that I look so serene in that picture when emotionally I was in turmoil.

'Tell that to the youngsters these days and they won't believe you . . . etc.' 
I couldn't better a story like that today.

14 comments:

  1. What an uplifting post! Your brother obviously spotted a remarkable quality in this stoic young lady - and yes what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like the actress, Jennifer Beals -- especially in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only beautiful, but blessed with inner strength.

    What a lovely SIL you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday's photo made me think of Audrey Hepburn, a little... This one . . . beautiful! Absolutely yes!
    I'm not surprised that on the outside she looked so serene. In those circumstances, it's the only way to look. Nothing to be done about the horror of all of it. You face whatever needs to be faced, and do whatever needs to be done.
    Your SIL is a strong woman, not least because of those experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very nice following from yesterday. Again, I say, Aww (which in American English means--"That's very sweet.").

    ReplyDelete
  6. jinksy - you know as well as any that life gives you exactly what you need and more often not what you want. the inner calm she (s.i.l.) mentions in her comment yesterday could be traced back to her learning that she can survive most anything! steven

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a strong, brave girl. Her life has certainly had some very tough spots...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Photographs truly are magical ... not only do they capture a moment forever but they can set a historical and social context that could be otherwise forgotten. Wow : )!

    ReplyDelete
  9. regards and best wishes to 'Mutti'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is grace and loveliness personified. I can so relate to the upheaval she went through. As a teenager, I, too, had to leave the friends and country I loved for a whole new beginning. I applaud her courage and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is beautiful through and through. (Your posts keep making me a bit teary though. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems that she is very modest too Penny. I guess kiwiland does that to you(?) :-) - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. Serenity in the midst of chaos shows true metal of character.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...