Monday, 16 March 2009

16th March

Monochrome Monday? Pardon me while I give a 'horse' laugh, Carolina at Brinkbeest In English, but today is multi coloured: bright shiny sun yellow: daffodils dripping with diamonds: kaleidoscopic! Why such exuberance all of a sudden? Well, that's easy - it's my birthday! Aren't you happy it's not yours, making you have to admit to being another year older, just like that? There, thought you'd be glad I'm willing to take it on board instead of you!! Actually, I didn't appear on the scene until the early evening, so I'm still not a year older until then...There is always a silver lining if you look for it!

At a relatively early hour, Bush Face Bro and Mushroom Lulu telephoned with best wishes from New Zealand, bless their cotton socks, managing to catch me (as is often the case when they phone birthday greetings) in a semi nude state which makes me (and them!) thankful that video phones are not the norm.

Once fully clothed and functional, Blogland greeted me with a plethora of nice comments on yesterday's mini post and elsewhere, so what better start to the day? But it's yesterday that's left you wondering, I bet.

Usually it takes an hour for Kiddywink's parents to transport them hither, but yesterday, Son-in-law was at the wheel, and suddenly he switched into auto mode, heading for his workplace instead of here....
It eventually took them twice as long to get to me via the 'scenic route' - or as smallest grandchild put it, 'Daddy took us round in circles.' But no harm done, and it worked out very well, as No1 Son arrived shortly after No 1 Daughter and we filled our tums with food and our ears with chat and laughter in the time honoured way.

Then the day got even better. The subject of Easter Bonnets came up. Daughter, already a teacher and therefore fraught enough, had a note from smallest grandchild's school, to warn of impending Easter Bonnet Parade. 'I've got some hats, and a cupboard full of flowers', says I, hoarder par excellence. 'Shall we have a look?' Suitable hat duly found, Ma and kids went off to the local craft store for a flock of yellow chicks, while I hunted out the glue gun and deheaded a bunch of daffodils and spring flora and fauna. OK, avid gardeners, they were all only the silk variety - no natural beauty was harmed in this exercise.

Eldest granddaughter didn't need the headgear, so was quite happy adorning a polystyrene egg, instead. So I spent the afternoon as happy as a pig in muck, with glue left right and centre, and only an occasional 'Ouch!' when I touched the glue before it cooled down.

Come the day of the Parade, if that creation (with about three dozen mini chicks hanging on to the edge of the crown for dear life, while daffs twirl their petals all round the brim) doesn't win a gold medal at the very least, I shall be demoralised for life....

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you, dear Jinksy! .... and many more!!!

    Sounds like you had a lovely day with your grands. After all that work on the Easter Bonnet, I expect it will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jinksy!

    Easter Parades? I live in the wrong place, I do. Hope she takes first with her hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I think we deserve a piccie of that bonnet don't you? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, Happy B'day :-)
    Second, I'm glad that even nature greeted you on your b'day in a beautiful way... (I hate it whenever my b'day is gloomy and dark and rainy... though it doesn't happen that often)!
    And third of all, good luck for the parade day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    Happy Birthday!
    Dear Jinksy, I Sing To You!
    Happy Birthday!
    Happy Birthday!
    Happy Birthday To You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! And it's such a gorgeous day too! Congrats! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, jinksy, and happy days. I love the word images of your milliner's art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jinkstress, often hiding your light under bushels, and chirpy chicks and Easter Bonnets, now you are hiding your birthday from us!

    Happiest of Birthdays, beautiful Jinksie, and why ought it not to surprise me that you hoard all kinds of practical things, and can turn your hand to making a grand-daughter's bonnet, as if you were born to it!

    You are a treasure, and we value you, as I'm certain do all your family!

    Love and light to you, la jinks, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. In your honor our temperature went up to 60 today and the snow is melting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Day! I'm becoming addicted to your sense of fun, frolick and furry finds. I'm so happy You stopped by to introduce yourself and get me over to you. Mutual Admiration Society, we now have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfectly wonderful way to spend a birthday! Many congratulations to you. Oh gosh, I remember the Easter Bonnet parades only too well.. and like you, I still can't bear to part with my lovingly made creations - who cares if the eldest kid is 17? He might still need it one day - wink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy, happy on Celebrate You day!

    This nice weather is leading to all kinds of springy thoughts . . . and easter bonnets are the loveliest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jinksy, happy happy birthday and many many more to come!
    You will have to make an exception to the rule and post a picture of granddaughter wearing her Easter Bonnet creation. It sounds like a fun hat!

    But it wás grey and cold this morning over here, so it seemed to be a fitting photo (thanks for the mention). The afternoon turned a bit brighter, I've been working my socks off in the garden but could have done with some warmth and sunshine. Ah well, tomorrow maybe.

    Lots of love and kisses for you dearest Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a lovely way to spend your special day. Happy, happy birtday to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. h <--- that was missing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank God we don't have video phones! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A birthday with Easter bonnets, how lovely for you! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday, Jinksy. Creating that hat was a fine thing to do on such an occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Jinksy! It seems you have alot to celebrate -- especially the wonderful writer that you are!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...