Sunday, 29 March 2009

Favourite Poems

Other people's choices have a habit of appearing all over Blogland, from time to time. As today is Sunday, I have a particularly apt one for all those endeavouring to be especially good on the Sabbath. It comes from a very old book by Marion St John Webb, first published in 1914, and the entire volume is written exactly as a child might speak. The beautiful illustrations on every page were drawn by A H Watson and are equally delightful, although you can't see them! Due to the great age of the original, I hope I am not infringing any copyright when I share with you:-

As Good As Gold

I wonder what it's like
To be as good as gold,
'Cos that's how good I ought to be
I'm always bein' told.
I'd like to be like gold,
Jus' once - jus' so's to see.

I wonder what would gold be like
If gold was good as me !

15 comments:

  1. Sweet, Jinksy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you ARE as good as gold!

    Hugs xx
    word verification is howeedno

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet !
    Thanks, for sharing.
    Have a Blessed Sunday.
    Hugs~~~~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really nice. I like poetry and prose like this. And this has a special meaning to me that I had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it is already as good as you! It takes one to recognize the other, don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, now how cute is that? *smiling*

    I like looking at your smiling face there - you look mischievous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I relate! Love the last line best, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If gold was as good as us it would be woth about what American curency is now worth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that little ditty. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful poem, Jinsky! It made me laugh! Hope you had a golden Sunday, mine surely was as I had a lovely call from my sister.

    Peace! Hope! & Joy!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bits of whimsy like that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the poem. I don;t know you well yet but I bet you are as good as gold.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...