Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Addiction

...
I confess to being a life long addict where A A Milne is concerned. I had thought to regale you again with his delightful poem entitled Sneezles, for the last line says 'Now, how to amuse them today?' You can see how this may be especially apt in my case.

But when I flicked through my book of his poetry to make sure I was remembering it correctly, I happened across a poem I'd swear I've never seen before - and that's in sixty plus years of addiction. I have no logical explanation as to how this may have happened - unless it was magically inserted on page 121 just for today. It's entitled The Alchemist, appropriately enough, Here it is:-

The Alchemist

There lives an old man at the top of the street,
and the end of his beard reaches down to his feet,
and he's just the one person I'm longing to meet -
...I think that he sounds so exciting;
for he talks all the day to a tortoiseshell cat,
and he asks about this and explains about that,
and at night he puts on a big wide-awake* hat
...and sits in the writing room, writing.
........................................................................* So as not to go to sleep.

He has worked all his life (and he's terribly old)
at a wonderful spell which says 'Lo and behold!
your nursery fender is gold!' - and it's gold!
...Or the tongs, or the rod for the curtain);
But somehow he hasn't got hold of it quite,
or the liquid you pour on it first isn't right,
so that's why he works on it, night after night
...till he knows he can do it for certain.

This struck me as SO like Blogland writers, that I simply had to make a song and dance about it. I do believe many of them have their own wide-awake hats; but unlike the Alchemist, they very often successfully conjure gold with the words they write for us. Long may their spells continue.
...

20 comments:

  1. Fun little poem and would make a good ditty, it would. Like how he set it up, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jinksy,

    That's a very nice poem. Let me know if you find the right formula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem. The story of how Walt Disney decided to start the animated Pooh series after he heard his wife reading Milne to his children (and them roaring with laughter), has always been a fantastic image for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you Jinksy, except the terribly old part! I love your thoughts and poems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could relate to the first stanza because I'm old and I've got a wide awake hat . I'd like to swap it for a let's be vague couldn't care less about anything hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jinksy, that's my kind of Alchemy! Now, if only I could get a few gold coins. Heck, I'd even take silver!
    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is a very lovely one and perked me up better than a cup of coffee. Thank you, Jinksy, for sharing. Your posts invariably help me start my day; especially the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Jinksy! And, yes, it reminds me of blogland too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute poem, wish I could conjure up a little gold, sure would come in handy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to invest in a collection of A A Milne for my granddaughters. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, you múst be related to the Alchemist. Or to A.A. Milne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my wide awake hat on at the moment. It is sometimes turned into a cosy sleep hat! depending how I feel.

    Had to smile at your comment on my blog today. In fact I laughed loudly and husband asked me what was up!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, love Milne. The Winnie-The-Pooh books are among my all-time favorites. As a matter of fact, I included them in my Top 15 in the meme I did concerning that topic. Genius, he was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is sort of like blog writers. Good poem, "he asks this and explains about that". Yep. Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay I have to admit I am addicted as well to this beloved poet......love this poem and smiled as I thought of the "gold"....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good gracious! I'm, a Milne fan too, and I've never seen that in my life! Thanks for the discovery!
    I love Sir Thomas Tom of Appledore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think many of my friends in blogland sound like that poem was written for them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.s I am not a big Milne fan but I have read that before. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Cheers, to you, Jinksy :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have this buzzing about my head :)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...