Monday, 25 January 2010

The Definitive Oatmeal Experiment

After all your kind comments and advice, I've added it all up, divided by 42 (the answer to life, the universe and everything) and determined this morning would be the day I cracked the problem.

I know that to stop cooking and stir the pot is good advice, but I figured having to keep popping the door lock too often was not a good idea. Then I remembered - on a medium high, medium or medium low setting, the oven worked in pulses, few seconds on, few seconds off, which would amount to the same thing as opening door/stirring routine.

I can happily report it worked like a dream: 2 mins high: 2 mins medium: 2 mins medium low, and not an oat escaped from the dish; no porridge tsunami ensued.

This left me in the perfect frame of mind for facing the real test of the day - a retinopathy one; my first. As is the way these days with any medical procedure, the explanatory leaflet spread doom and gloom as regards possible side effects, and as usual, was entirely OTT in it's warnings; the drops didn't sting even as much as a splash of soap or shampoo in the eyes, and the blurry vision was no great hardship, either.

So fear not, any Bloglanders about to undergo the same thing - it's a doddle. And I don't have to go again for twelve months. Hang out the flags - porridge coloured ones, of course!

17 comments:

  1. Doddle: another new word for me. If only I could retain them, I might become literate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to learn that you have got that problem sorted out. I think that I shall stick with cereal for breakfast. On the days when I work I don't have time to be cleaning up a wayward microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For perfect porridge - half a teacup of Sainsbury's Jumbo Oats - one teacup of milk. Stir on the hob until heated to desired consistency. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. Serve with a drop of golden syrup. Mmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the trials of the microwave. I always used to make the caramel for millionaires shortbread in the microwave and it took exactly six and a half minutes. But then my old oven broke and I got a new one, now it either boils over or takes hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you jinsky, a good hot breakfast before heading for your test.....well at least the breakfast sounds good and you rested my fears should I ever need a retinopathy....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. jinksy you brilliant and independent person there you go!!!! you've solved a great mystery! what next?! steven

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had to, didn't you? Now, you put us to shame. Now, we have to find our solution to these irritants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jinksy,

    Well done on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two, two, and two. You discovered the magic numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mostly I just take mine raw- a1/4 cup organic babyflakes with raw/Turbinado sugar and sometimes w/raisins and 1/2 cup nonfat milk. I find the oats at an Amish bulk food place; much cheaper, I might add.
    I love the taste of these oats and also save money by not cooking them on the stove.
    Yum, makes me hungry for a bowl right now.
    I never use a microwave except for heating water or cold coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your retinopathy is over...
    Take care of you, jinksy.
    Hugs to you my friend.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is good to know Jinksy...not as bad as the name sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad things are better, and the oatmeal worked. Thank heavens your eyes are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear your test went well.

    Is there nothing you can't do? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have proven once again, that practice does make perfect.
    Oats.
    ;^)
    (I like old-fashioned oats...or steel-cut oats...even better.) ;^) Cooking them in one of those little all night cookers (crock-pots) is easy, too!
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...