Wednesday, 7 January 2009

It's all in the title...

Or, not, as I discovered this morning...'Nipple Notes', indeed! OK, so beauty is deemed to be in the eye of the beholder, but what about in their reading skills? How come the eyes can trick our brains into seeing what's not there? I know I'm pretty good at this myself, as I always SEE what I've written as correctly spelled, no matter how much of a mish-mash I've made of a word.
But back to Napple.
When my daughter produced my first granddaughter, we had a conversation about how I'd like to be called, now she'd made me a grandmother. Nan? Nah! Too much like Mary Poppins Nanny, or even worse, Nana in Peter Pan. Grandmama? Not Pygmalion likely! Too old fashioned. So between my son and daughter, the name Granny Apple was hit upon, as acceptable to all. This was particularly apposite, as our family name was that of a well known variety of apple ( in UK, anyway - can't speak for the rest of the world). So, Granny Apple it was.
This was how things stood until baby began to speak. Granny Apple was far too much of a mouthfull ( just like a whole apple would have been at the time) and she very soon condensed it to Napple. As her other granny had been blessed with the name Moggle by her grandchildren long before JKR's Muggles were born, this made a very nice homogenous whole of the two sides of the family.

Having got to this point, I clicked on spell checker, which happily said 'finished checking'. But I did my own belt and braces job, looked over what I'd written again, and noticed a word that said 'whold' instead of whole... this made me feel SO much better about all the goofs in the spelling department that I'd glibly posted without noticing almost every day so far, that it gave me an encouraging, inner glow for a moment. Computers can be as quirky as brains. I figure, if anyone is as daft as me, they'll forgive the spelling anyway, and if they're brainier, there's one of three options: either their brain will supply the correct version automatically, or they will stop, tut tut, then carry on reading, regardless, or they will pootle off to read somebody else's blog who's better at it all than I am. So its a wn win situation, really.

The younger generations, with text-speak and its deplorable abbreviations becoming more and more widespread amongst them, will be lucky if they can spell words of one syllable by the time they're as old as me, anyway.

Personally, I hope ESP will have evolved to such an extent, that people will be able to use it at will to communicate through thought waves, as opposed to the radiowaves or cyberspace doodah waves that let computers and radios do the same job at present ( no technological jargon from me, you will notice).

In view of the signposts I followed in Blogland today, I shall now wander down a well worn path that will lead me back to the Memory Room wherein is stored a whimsical little offering I called:-

Wishful Thinking


I wish I was a typist
in control of the machine
Instead, I clatter boldly
but things are never what they seem.
Did I mean a word like @/!? that
to creep in unawares?
And why do all the lines
appear to walk
----down
------little
--------stairs
from time to time?
Unasked by me,
the strangest spacings
suddenly e v o l v e
and half the levers start to stick
and half the knobs revolve
with never once a by- your- leave.
It really is annoying
when mechanical catastrophies
oust ideas with which I'm toying,
and inspiration disappears,
possibly for ever, and I'm left with
one more crumpled sheet,
feeling anything but clever,
as I throw it in the waste bin
and reach for pen and ink.
What was it that I meant to say?
I really cannot think!

I post this in homage to my old Olivetti Lettera portable typewriter, bought on the never-never (hire purchase in proper speak) the summer I left school. Mum and Dad had to stand as guarrantors in case I defaulted on the payments to buy this twenty something poundsworth of delight. I never did, so they were safe.)

10 comments:

  1. My Flickr account is filed under Anvilcoud (sans the "l"), and I didn't notice the typo more more than a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog the other day. I can see that I'm going to enjoy yours immensely. I love your casual chatting voice.. typos or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinsky, I know the feeling. Sometimes it seems I spend more time proofing than actually writing. Reading your fun poem brought back memories of the IBM Selectric. I'm beginning to wonder about leaving a writing to sit for awhile and then go back and reread it several days later. It seems to change my whole perspective.

    Happy mid week (or, as it's sometimes called, "hump day"),
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee, it's fine to leave a sheet of paper notes for a week, to look at later, (something I nearly always used to do) but a computer is SO NOW and I'm SO impatient to meet the wonderful minds, out there in Blogland, of a variety that I don't come accross in my ordinary daily life, that my fingers and brain are falling over themselves in glee. Maybe the over-enthusiasm will moderate in time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to meet you and I'll certainly be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be sure to let your old Olivetti Lettera portable typewriter know it got a mention on your blog when I see it next. :)

    Don't worry about typo's, just remeber that eiaml I snet you aobut how the bairn dales wtih frsit and lsat ltetres! Most will never know! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whey hey! Rinkly Rimes, I love the title as well as the 'rimes'. Will be calling in myself for a futher yakketty yak, no doubt.
    And Q, my frist and lsat son, you walk in your mummy's humourous footsteps...
    xx to you and a spare one (x) for anybody else who who hasn't had one today... ( or in Blogland, I guess that should read today/tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jinksy, so glad we've met over the airwaves (or microwaves or cyberwaves). Still laugh everytime I come, thinking of my misinterpretation of your blog name. :) Digging your poetry too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. jinsky,the exact same twinning happened with my three-year old granddaughter's name for me, Mimi, and her other grandmother, Nini. The pathetic thing, however, is that we parents of her parents came up with our own names. No baby talk needed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, jinksy, I must tell you Angie Ledbetter and I are sisters-in-law. I'm Mary Ann Ledbetter. Thanks to her, I'm luxuriating in your very English blog! She well knows my love for all things British. I'm lucky enough to teach Brit lit to seniors (twelfth-graders) at one of our large public (not in the British sense) high schools here in south Louisiana, USA. Imagine being paid to wallow in your favorite subject at will!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...