Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Eastbourne

Quick change of venue today, people. Thanks to the Sunday edition of 'Keiths Ramblings' which took till Tuesday to get to my computer, I decided to share today a long, long ago account of a short visit I paid there one afternoon, off in the mists of time.

To really appreciate it, you will need to wind your imagination clock forward a couple of months from now, to an English April day, then back to a year when Spring decided to make herself apparent in no uncertain manner to the waiting crowds in Eastbourne.

Keith's visit, on a day in February, meant he had to use his imagination to supply pictures like the one I'm about to draw, and his images were so similar to mine, I couldn't resist jumping on his bandwagon. This is the first version of the poem. I have since tried to lick it into shape until it becomes an accepted poetic form and rhyme scheme, but the absence of both constrictions gives the sharpest picture, so here it is, painted with loving brushstrokes on a sunlit canvas.

Summer Season Prelude

Two o'clock in Eastbourne;
scaffolds on the pier
clank and echo
as the painters work.

The Season's near.

On this sunny April day
you can tell it's on its way.

Bare feet,
bald heads, pinkish in the sun:
bare skin -
fur hat?:
deckchair canvasses that start to flap
as three old ladies drag chairs
all along the Prom.

Two of them have settled
but the third one wants to move,
and sits in solitary state
gazing at the waves.

Ice creams:
pullovers:
trannies blaring, loud:
anything is possible
with a seaside crowd.

Two pairs of glasses perch
upon a single nose.
So many people sitting
in such silent, basking rows.

On reading this through, I think I should maybe point out that back in those innocent days, a 'trannie' was nothing more nor less than a Transistor Radio, and had no connotations of a deviant life style. Don't get too sunburned or windblown on your trip to the seaside, will you?!

14 comments:

  1. La Jinks - My head went straight to the modern sense of tranny, I must admit!

    You are a tinker, jinker and we love you for your wit and rhyme! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two pairs of glasses perch
    upon a single nose.
    So many people sitting
    in such silent, basking rows.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you make me long for the sunshine and to join one of those basking rows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having seen nothing but snow for three months now, I can hardly wait. But I must.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a certain longing for spring hovering over the winterside of blogworld, I sense.
    You painted a very nice picture again.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. U nicely presented it with wonderful writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the footnote about "trannies". Nice images. "Bald heads, pinkish in the sun" That's why I always wear a baseball cap when I go out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We noticed when we were in England that though it was cold by our standards people were flocking to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew u in Margate and I remember te holiday preparations well. I also remember the rows of unsmiling ladies sitting waiting! You brought it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice . . . took me away to the seaside. Love the details. Thanks for lifting me away from winter drear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the short journey. Enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! The two pairs of glasses really made me smile - I realised I'd seen it so many times but hadn't actually noticed it if you know what I mean!
    Thank you for giving my humble blog a mention. It's so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehehe, you can always post a beautiful poem about the brown stuff that we will not be more specific about just now and enter the True Colours Meme for once. Just to let some other people enjoy your wonderful blog too. A beautiful Pooem that would be then ;-)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the English seaside! We've been many times with our children, and even though it isn't like the other warmer beaches I've been to throughout the world... you capture the tranquility and safety that you feel on an English beach. Ack! We're gonna miss this place so much! Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...