Friday, 27 February 2009

Fiendish Fun

The overnight changes Blogger/Google imposed on the 'Followers' section yesterday, rankled. How dare they mess with the little gallery of pics that were a constant reminder of friendly Blogland travellers? As a consequence, before I retired for the night (sounds better than saying before I had to get up the stairs to avoid my behind gluing itself to the chair for another couple of hours) I dispensed with the lot of them...

However, this morning, I came up with a better idea. Thursday's enforced layout left a mere six icons showing in the followers' box in the left hand column; I suddenly wondered, could I choose to move them to the larger 'gadget' box at the foot of the page? Yay! I could - now they make a colourful base for my daily diatribe to rest its dainty feet upon!

So chuffed was I by this technological wizardry, that all thoughts of a 'proper' post went out the window, in my eagerness to pass on my findings to anyone else who had been perturbed by the recent cold hearted extermination of followers' pics.

It seems a good time to let you read a different sort of questioning that came to light in my folder of past musings, especially as there are so many memes flying around on other blogs, begging the same question....

Quest

The search for self
is constant.
Who am I,
and why?
Would I recognise myself
if I was passing by?
Do we ever really see
ourselves
as others see us?
Or will we need
the hindsight of eternity
to free us
of our misconceptions?

P.S. You will need to click on the 'Comment' option in order to view my 'rogues gallery' in all its glory at the bottom of the page.

13 comments:

  1. probably google people are looking to increase in Blogspot users (by giving option 2 add pals from g-mail) more than promoting quality blogging...at some points they have really made easy knowing the followers / fellow bloggers & addin/inviting but at most its messed up, still need 2 understand what Friend connect is really meant for?...more business?? probably yes

    ReplyDelete
  2. and usually i look 4 poem first on ur post 2 day since it was techno thing i read poem later...and what deep thots u probeks by these lines

    The search for self
    is constant.
    Who am I,
    and why?
    Would I recognise myself
    if I was passing by?


    Too good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it a mixed blessing. I agree that something was lost, but I have been wanting to use it to as a menas of getting round to ev everyone. Having to click through umpteen pages each time ruled it out - on my blog it is still not possible to put the followeres on to a reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing one rogue who follows differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. jinksy, I'm not keen on the new changes either, plus I find I keep not getting reminders if someone has posted anew - Hence me not noticing yours yesterday or today - I wish they would leave well alone, unless it were for the better, like stopping the Word Verif. freeze, etc...

    Grrrrrr! Do you have any barricades at Jinks' Manor?! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. In my case more pictures showed on the front page than before. I guess it depends upon the template you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jinksy I like that poem - reminds me of catching sight of myself in shop windows - who is that scruffym slouching individual - oh its me!
    It has been very hard to get on to your site lately for me and even harder to get off as you have kept coming up again and again. So far today it has been "normal" so hope your gremlins have gone to another blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In see less too. Darn, I hate it when they mess with a good thing! Ah, Nice spread of followers here at the foot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am starting to think that my naivety out here regarding followers has left me at least unperturbed while these changes were put into place. I'm so glad you found a smart way to make lemonade from lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't have followers because I refuse to go to the "new " system and have stayed with my template because it gives me more freedom. But though they let me go with the old template they won't let me use any of the special things the new one has. tough.
    Loved your poem but then I always love your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, frustrating isn't it. I decided to put mine at the top of my blog, under the quote for the day. I have no idea what their reasoning is to the way they set it up. Most be one, but they haven't informed us yet. I doubt I'll be on much tomorrow. Going with our one daughter to a luncheon put on by a group called The Noble Circle from Dayton Ohio. (They are a group of cancer survivors and or women going through treatment at the moment). She buys me a ticket, and takes me, I think this is about the 3rd. or 4th. year she's been doing this. They have a fashion show and a speaker, usually show a video of the parties and get to gather's they held in 2008. Of course there will be tears shed, since some in the video have passed on from their cancer. The money they make goes to the Cancer Foundation. I myself am a two time breast cancer survivor. Did you know that more women after the age of 60 get breast cancer than any other age group? It's just that ours is highly treatable if caught early. The younger women have a harder time of it, I assume because they are still producing so many hormones. Have a terrific week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw it had changed and two of my follower had done a runner but didn't think much more about it to be honest.

    Sometimes I catch myself in a mirror door in the shopping mall and think "Who the hell is that fat lass?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never use the Follower thingie. I just keep up with everyone's blogs via Google Reader. I'm just not comfy with that gadget. So really, I had noticed that it looked different but I didn't really know just what had changed.

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...