Saturday, 28 February 2009

Ga Ga Google?

Curiosity being what it is, after the Followers Widget Fiasco, I did a little clicking; this soon showed me that the icon of two little boxes on the new style arrangement, simply lets you see another selection of your followers. OK, guess we could live with that. Then I tried the 'Google Friend Connect' button, and was treated to a voice explaining exactly what this was all about.

Apparently, people can sign on with their Google Account, Yahoo, AOL, Open ID etc, should they wish to leave a comment on your blog. Doesn't seem to be too disastrous - but then, the voice launches into a host of other possibilities that made me want to run for cover. I shall need to listen again and digest the information before going any further. How much attention do I want to attract to my little corner of Blogland? Aye, there's the rub, as one far greater than I once said.

I leave the jury still out on the Google Friend Connect...Friend or Fiend springs to mind.

Did I hear myself use the word 'springs'? That produced a leap in another direction, due to a somewhat different interpretation of the word, of course. Spring is struggling to get away from the grasp of old Winter, at least here in the English corner of Blogland, and a quick rummage brought to light a relevant poem, written in the days when I had a garden worthy of the name, as well as large windows that let me admire the changing seasons in all their glory. Without more ado, here it is, complete with original title suggested by the day on which I wrote it, all those years ago.

Winter Solstice

In the garden
morning frost patches,
still undisturbed,
add to the cold light
of fast disappearing day.
Dried seed heads brown remains
stand stiffly on thin twigs
already sprouting
yellow-green leaf clusters
eager for Spring, epitomising
beauty of birth and death
on a single stem.

18 comments:

  1. I daren't investigate what Google may be doing with the blog site. It may conk again, and nothing scares me more these days than that I should lose it all. Perhaps the brave among us oldies i.e Yourself, could investigate and tell us the findings so we may be enlightened too.
    However onto the lead in to spring, yes the tips of plants are peeping out from their winter hideaway. I just love your poem... so discriptive.
    TTFN
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no springing around here yet, but we have lost a lot of snow to mild temperatures and some rain except the rain turned into freezing rain yesterday. I don't know what it's doing out there now -- too early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinksy - I understand from the weather forecast that spring is about to go into hiding again for a while. Nobody has told my pulmonaria and the tiny pink and blue flowers and putting on quite a show at present - and all the daffodils are in bud. Like the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dried seed heads brown remains
    stand stiffly on thin twigs
    already sprouting

    Good one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the poem. I will look at the Google thing and see what I think. LOL
    As far as Spring goes I woke up to 2 inches of snow this morning. Groan and it is still snowing.
    Hugs~~~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the Google thing is an invitation to a Virus. I will pass on that one.
    But, that is just my thought on the Google idea.
    Hugs~~~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ga ga Google - classic Jinksy! I don't even want to play with the followers. I accidentally made myself a follower of myself yesterday and I couldn't even figure out how to delete myself. If that is any sign of the goo goo Google trouble ahead for me, I perish the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The change in the 'followers'-gadget made me feel quite irritated yesterday. I don't think it is an improvement.
    I love your 'Ga Ga Google' and 'beauty of birth and death on a single stem'.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. loving the poem! - this is a hurry up "Hello!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I was looking at my followers, clicked on one, saw a place to click and become their follower (I thought!). Click. I accidentally became MY own follower. UGH! Now I have to block myself from following my own blog as far as I can tell. How embarrassing to see myself following myself...I kid you not, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...epitomising
    beauty of birth and death
    on a single stem.

    Beautiful, jinksy - Award-winning!

    p.s. I also found I was following myself for a time - then I thought it would make me look as if power (hah!) had gone to my head, so I had to work out how to delete myself again - All these machinations are keeping our brains young, jinks, mark my words! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tomorrow is the first day of March, and there is an old saying... if March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb. So I guess we can hope March first comes in cold and blustery, so it can go out nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. birth and death, on a single stem. Is it possible? I know it is, but sometimes it seems seeing is believing and we've about six feet of standing snow...

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! You are so much braver than I am... I saw the new thingy and was like.. hmm? Nope I'm not even gonna push that button and see where it takes me. Glad to see you did.. now you have me curious! LOL! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  15. As usual I loved your poem. It fits England but not Neenah Wisconsin. I don't think there are any green sprouts under the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need a spring for the mower - which will have to be recommissioned soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jinksy you've been peeking in my garden!

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...