Sunday, 26 April 2009

Angelic Explanation

I thought today I'd give the round-a-bout reasons for the poem I posted yesterday. They were, in no particular order: sunshine: hum of computer: card making: Christmas: workplaces: anglepoise lamps and paper sculpture. Did I not warn you? Perhaps convoluted would have been a better word.

I first became interested in card making when we were given a holiday project asking us to produce one by the start of the next term. I was still a pupil at my first school, a private one from which I sat the eleven plus exam, before going on to grammar school. I used scraps of white lace, pink crayons and silver glitter to produce the card, destined, I seem to remember, for Mother's Day.

From that point on, I was card maker-in-chief, especially at Christmas time. Mum was only too pleased to hand over what she considered 'a bit of a chore' - writing cards - when there were so many other things to do. One year, I created little angelic beings on all of them, topping off with bits of my own, curly hair. They were simplistic shapes, not much more than a triangle with a small circle at the apex for a head, but effective, if I say so myself.

Time came, I got even more into crafting, and made tiny, paper sculpture, Nativity figures that took pride of place in the two little alcoves either side of the rather grand mantelpiece in our living room. Once again, basic cone shapes that would stand on their own, created from clever cutting of a circle which evolved into body, arms and head, all from the one shape, still looking like a triangle with a head at the apex, similar to my 'angels'.

Eventually old enough to work, and what did I find among the Christmas decorations on sale in a shop one day, but a tiny, silver angel: cone shaped body, polystyrene ball head, silver wire halo and fine, tinsel ruff, all suspended from a silver thread. I 'adopted' her at once. She became my Lulu Angel, and lived on my anglepoise lamp-arm, dangling happily near me for years.

When I left work, after marrying and eventually expecting baby no. 1, Lulu Angel left with me, and continued to dangled from the shade of our standard lamp. She had become part of my world, an old friend.

More years passed. Even Lulu Angels eventually disintegrate, as threads fray, cardboard yellows, silver tarnishes. Time arrived for her to join her angelic friends, but she lived on in my memory.

But now our children were grown, going back to work became a reality, not merely a possibility. The large, bright office I joined in Chichester was ideally situated for lunch time browsing in nearby shops, which as Christmas approached, blossomed with festive wares. One day, in an establishment delightfully named 'Soupcon' ( sorry, no cedilla under the 'c'), a flash of gold met my eyes. Could it be? Yes - it looked like it! Lulu Angel, gleaming in the shop lights: same shape: same size: almost a resurrection of the original, but long lasting brass! I couldn't wait to take her with me!

In the seventeen and a half years I spent working for the IRS, as it used to be called, the offices were re-vamped and remodelled, humming computers became the norm, rather than the exception, and bosses came and went. One of the line managers who came my way, initially gave me many hassles. I think it was really because we were very much alike, but it caused me much unhappiness for a while. However, I persevered with being the friendly, helpful being I am by nature, and things eventually got to the point where we understood each other, appreciating our similarities as well as our differences, and peace reigned.

The office sprouted Christmas trees every year, of all shapes and sizes, and Lulu Angel II did sterling service atop many of the smaller ones, including one belonging to my erstwhile, hassle making line manager. So when I left, I 'bequeathed' Lulu Angel II to her, to show no hard feelings! It was fair exchange for the hug and bunch of flowers she gave me, and worth it to show how much learning and growing we'd manage to do that brought us to this point.

So it was motes in the sunshine yesterday that reminded me how they used to drift by my Lulu Angel as she stood patiently on the base of my work computer, and prompted me to let you read this poem - even though Christmas is far away, in either direction. I told you the story was round-a- bout.

23 comments:

  1. Roundabout but beautiful : ) You're certainly one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always interesting what can spark a story or poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I love the way your mind works! What a beautiful back story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lulu Angel. What a cute name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story, and what a clever name for the angel. I just like the special connection you have to your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jinksy, you are seriously and multi-talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the story! And, it was so generous of you to give away your angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very sweet story! I think some angels are meant to be given away - and somehow they are still with us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now all we're waiting for is photographs of the said cards! Maybe you're waiting till Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, Jinksy, the thread of angel from then to now. And she still remains in the dusty light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://poetonaleash.blogspot.com/2009/04/some-of-my-least-favorite-online.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post. You share great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello my friend, the winner is now posted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to comment yesterday, but my other computer simply will not let me. I love angels, and I loved your post yesterday. Thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post. so good you and line manager came to an understanding. Often it's too easy to complain and avoid learning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful tale, thank you for sharing it!

    I came here thanks to David's Authorblog Post of the Day award list - congratulations for being on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, every post from the lovely Jinksy is a Post of The Day in my book! My grandboy calls me LouLouDarling - which is nearly the same, really. Lovely tale, Jinks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love hearing from where inspiration came...lovely post..congrats on Post of the Day mention from David!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. It feels good to give, doesn't it?

    Beautiful piece Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your stories that go along with your poetry.

    CONGRATS on POTD!! Woot Woot.

    You are truly an inspiration to me. You know it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a lovely story and some insight into the working life of Jinksy too. I can imagine your Lulu angels dangling there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a glass angel on my desk, Jinksy - I'd almost forgotten about her when I was at home, as you know, but she emerged, whole and triumphant from her 'skip', (we've had an office move during my absence), and she hadn't been wrapped up, nor protected, and other people still had decanted some of my stuff into its rightful order, leaving the minimum of chaff for me to sort - When she emerged, triumphant, earlier this week, I realised that she is also in my life for a reason, and that reason is to survive and grow strong.

    I hope your angel is just as care-taking of you, my wondrous poetess, Jinksy! x

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...