Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Just A Little, Not A Lot

I'm giving myself an almost impossible task, today; short rations. This doesn't mean my cupboard is bare and I have only a dry crust to look forward to, but that my challenge will be to allow myself only a short time on the computer.

I know the temptation will be to spend hours in front of the screen 'visiting' all and sundry - especially those who have called during my absence and left me cheery notes. You are all a wonderful bunch of Bloggy Buddies! But, although the itchy eyes are much improved by the dozy pills, the itchy eyelid is only marginally better - may need to consult Doc as to expected time span on that score...

Of course, the phrase 'short rations' may not mean the same to everyone. It shoots me back to wartime childhood, when Ration Books ruled the roost. Small enough to fit into a shirt pocket these wondrous inventions were full of coupons (not unlike Green Shield stamps, if you remember those) without which rationed goods could not be bought. As well as all kinds of foodstuffs, coupons were needed for clothing and footwear, but my recollections are hazy because I was too young to fully grasp how they affected every part of daily life. I do remember a great amount of plotting to get enough coupons to by me a coat one time!

I've rather backed myself into a corner with that unintentional backward look at wartime Britain. I have no inclination to produce a poem on such a sombre subject, and the dozy pills have slowed my usually agile, grasshopper mind from finding a link to any other subject, even remotely connected. Therefore, this is my scant offering for today, with apologies once again for absence!

15 comments:

  1. gosh i could listen to you all day, no matter what the subject!! Feel better my sister friend.
    love me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you managed a word or two. !!!
    Hope the eyes improve more as the pills take affect.
    Look forward to reading more as soon as you manage it.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "scant offering" is still loaded up with interesting details. :)

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your eyes get well soon. I'm missing you.

    I well remember Ration Books; one needed the correct amount of coupons for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all need to ration ourselves on the computer once in a while. It is so easy to get carried away isn't it.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your day away from the computer. Hope the eyes are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you haven't been feeling too well. Hope the meds work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss you Jinksy. Tell that doctor to fix you up! Hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The body heals at its speed not the speed we want.
    We had those rationing books as well. I remember my dad and the entire neighborhood getting together to slaughter a cow which they didn't report so that everyone in the neighborhood had meat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems rather cruel that your eyes are taking a beating like this. Get better, you. Maybe we'll all have to start vlogging our poetry so that you can hear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jinksy - I hope you feel better soon. It's funny though, you still manage to be witty even when you are under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have great interesting posts no matter what you write about. I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. But it was such an interesting blog, Jinksy. I am just a little younger than you, so don't remember the ration books, but my mother and father told us all about them. It must have been very strange, but they seemed to manage.

    Get well soon
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Curiosity Cats can leave a whisker here...but not before noting, please, that I choose to have an award free, tag free, meme free blog. But by all means, talk to me by email - I love to 'chat'...